Thread: Lump at base of throat/neck? Swollen glands?

Lump at base of throat/neck? Swollen glands?

I'm not extremely worried because I had a blood test recently and the doctor said if I had any sort of disease (cancer, bacterial, viral) it would have shown up. But I have a large lump sort of thing at the base of my neck at the front (my throat), it's probably a swollen gland because it's kind of spread out, it could be just a tendon or something but it's only on my left hand side. I can't see it in the mirror unless I'm standing on a certain angle and even then it's hard to see, but I can definitely feel it. I have been restraining myself from googling. Also the hollow on one side of my neck is filled out while my other is normal. I'm pretty sure both have been like that since I started checking, a few weeks maybe? And it might even be normal. I'm currently in a non-worrying stage of my HA cycle so this is a question to reassure myself with when I'm worrying about it

Re: Lump at base of throat/neck? Swollen glands?

Hi Juliana,
    Is this the first time you’ve had this lump? Not sure if this helps but I often get lumps and pains in my own neck when I’m getting anxious. This can be very painful, and has led to the odd nocturnal trip to the hospital with what I assume to be a closing wind-pipe. Needless to say all was well. I think there are just so many muscles, ligaments etc passing up and around your neck that any tension can easily appear as a knot or lump visible or not. Unlike you I gave into my desire to Google a recent neck pain…..not a good idea. All I got was an unwanted panic attack and just enough knowledge to worry about yet one more illness. I did learn that neck/throat lumps and pain are extremely common in those that suffer from anxiety so at least that’s something to consider. Anyway I hope you can put it out of your mind.
    Take Care.

Steven

Thanks very much ^.^ I actually just had a panic attack because I told my parents and they said it might be swollen etc. which made me think of my recent lung cancer scare that I was just starting to get over I've stopped crying now but I feel sort of numb and I'm dreading sleep because I know I'll feel everything again when I wake up

Hi again,
    These things always seem to get worse at night when we have less to distract us. I'm almost starting to find some comfort in that as I wouldn't imagine a real illness should necessarily feel worse at night. Try to put it out of your mind if you can, and if you're able think about comparing your physical sensations with those you may have had when fearing you had other ailments. Although I still become extremely anxious I again find some comfort in the famaliarity of the sensations that my many afflications bring on. My brain tumor, heart attack, DVT, Lock-jaw(That's tetanus to anyone under 20) and even holiday flight caused the very same feelings . Hope you get some sleep.
    Take Care,
    Steven

Hmmm swollen lump at the base of your neck eh?

You have anxiety also i assume....

Are you skinny and find you are always on the go?
    Do you eat a lot but never gain weight?
    Are you hot and sweat more than normal sometimes

You may have an over active thyroid, not a problem it is treatable but it would explain your anxiety and lump!!!!

Make sure you get it tested as when you treat it your anxiety will go as well.

Thread Information