Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Driving up the A1

The last thing ive got to do is to get a secure job. Im doing bits and bobs for people etc. Computer work, helping family out etc. I just need to secure a 9-5 job and then i think ive cracked everything i thought i was afraid of!!!

I will do a seperate post on the success story ASAP.

Take care

Robert

Nice one Robert.

Did you used to panic whilst driving quite a lot?

Nicola

No i never had a PA or problems driving untill 2 years ago when i had my first panic attack at the wheel. it was when i was driving home from work at 23.00 one night on the M1. I lived in Luton at the time and my job was a bit too stressful. It took me a while to drive again after that incident as i didnt know why it was happening.

I used to travel up and down the motorway between Luton and Leeds 2 to 3 times a month and had no problems etc.....This was when i was a student,so a little less stressful than working etc More play and less work if you know what i mean!!!

Robert

Well done Nicola!

That should make coming home for Xmas easier. I too hate the bad weather, and living about three million feet above sea level it's very easy to panic each morning due to ice/sleet/snow.

The stupid thing is, it's not the physical act of driving that bothers me, it's actually travelling any distance - I want to get there yesterday, and other road users in bad weather hitting me. I know I'm in control of my car!

I have also been known to drive 10 miles round to avoid a three minute queue of traffic!!!

Do you find you cope easier if you have somebody to phone? I have tried to avoid bringing anybody else into my panics/anxieties, cos I'm really worried that if they are not there one day I won't be able to do it? Has that every happened to you? If so, how did you cope? My friend Janet keeps offering to come to the dentist with me, but I keep refusing.

Charlie

Robert

Mine started in the car too and 10 years on I am getting there but still find it hard going.

I am like Charlie and will take a detour rather than sit in traffic or road-works.

I rely on Alex been there so I can call him at anytime on his mobile. If he is unavailable I could try my sister but I am not sure how much help she would be - just a voice to talk to makes me feel better. The last time I had to call Alex was over a month ago when I got stuck in road works and that was bad!

I am desperately trying to get a car-kit now cos the new law is in force next week so I will be without a phone. I know I can pull over and use it but the times I tend to need it are when there is nowhere to pull over which is why I am panicking in the first place!

Nicola

hi nic
    well done sorry ive not been in lately my computers up the spout there are too many drivers on the road who need too take their test again no lights speeding not stopping at give way signs you have too be a mimd reader to find out what they are doing.
    bish

Cahrlie,

I see what u are saying about not wanting to rely on someone in case they are not there!!

My CBT therapist says that is a safety mechanism and you should cut them all out so not starting in the 1st place would be easier (does that make sense)
    unfortunetly i am holding onto all my safety nets just to make it though the day!!

love
    Lucky

Lucky

That is what I thought. She is encouraging me to face things "naked", figuratively, not literally of course!

I'm not even allowed to take my box of pills out with me. I never take them, just carry them around, so I know they are there!

The only thing I won't do is leave the house without a packet of handy andys. But I think thats just practical - you never know when you might get caught short. Generally I am managing to do this, but I must admit, I have regressed on the odd occassion, and took a whole ****nal of herbal and classified prescription drugs with me when I went to see the dentist. (Bizarrely, apart from 2 charcoal tablets, I never took one of them - and now I've been for the 3rd and final time, I know I shall be able to face my check up in May "unpilled")!!

I still can't go anywhere without driving myself though - but it's a start - at least I am going out now!!!!

Love

Charlie

Charlie

I am the same about driving - I need to be in control but then I panic driving too!

I think we are control freaks - lol

I allow Alex to drive me cos I trust him but I hate everyone else's driving.

I now have a taxi to look forward to at the weekend - great!!

Nicola

Taxi?

I wouldn't dare (yet!)

You are right about the control though. I have got an induction booked at the gym tomorrow afternoon, and I'm dreading it.

I don't really want to go (hate exercising indoors), but I know that getting fitter will help, so I'm going to start going, but I am dreading the induction. For a whole hour, I've got to do what somebody else tells me. I have to keep slapping myself, cos I keep thinking of excuses incase I need to run out. BUT I'M NOT GOING TO.

Since being involved with this site I have discovered that I suffer a great deal of anticipatory anxiety, and also have issues with not being in complete control of my actions.

All I need to do is stop worrying, and step back and let others take charge. Easy peasy! (But I will get there)

Charlie

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information