Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Driving up the A1

Taxi are terrible. Over the summer i was in one and felt horrible as soon as i got in... luckily i had a few pints and was going Into Leeds, but i still had emense anxiety. The 10 miles into Leeds from where i live was very Long. I was ok on the way back, probably because i was drunk and never thought about having a PA or was anxious.

Im an awful passenger in the car, the worst time was when i went out with my girlfrinds parents for a meal because i was sat in the front and i thought her dad was going to crash as he wasnt breaking in time for a car in front, so i shouted and grabbed the steering wheel, luckily we stopped just before the car in front. Looking back it was quite amusing and everytime we meet up we laugh about it etc, but ive never done it since!!!!!!!!!!

Robert

robert,

i had to laugh at your post,because my ex had the same driving technique,she would drive much too fast,and then brake at the last minute..being a passenger in her car,you would never be constipated.

bryan.

Nic - with your taxi....

Try to understand what you're really afraid of happening in this taxi.. an accident, getting lost , fear of fear ??

Then rationalize it as much as possible - what are the realistic risks of these things happening or not ?

What risk management strategies can you put in place ?

When all that is done - you can do no more - so you will need to trust the driver.

Scaring him will not help your situation.

Alex is with you and will keep vigilant too.

If you need to , lie down on the back seat with your head in Alex's lap- if you're not too drunk or if you are , depending on how you feel or just close your eyes and keep repeating something like - it will be fine- until you get there.

It's about recognising that we cannot individually have control every minute of every day and others can and need to be trusted too.

I hate how Gary drives too close to the car in front and I just resorted to closing my eyes and gritting my teeth - frequently - and accepting how we are all different - and then if I had to say/shout something if I thought he was really dangerous ( mostly he already knew) , he took it better than hearing it every day.

I know Gary thinks I drive too fast on motorways -(he's right too) but he only points it out if there are cameras, as I too would get used to it and take no notice.

These days I just put myself in the lap of the gods and am still here completely unscathed and he drives with more distance !! Hurrah.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
    Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

quote:Originally posted by Radar

If you need to , lie down on the back seat with your head in Alex's lap- if you're not too drunk or if you are , depending on how you feel or just close your eyes and keep repeating something like - it will be fine- until you get there.
    Meg I had to laugh at this - can you imagine what the taxi driver would think I was doing!

Seriously though my fear is related to speed. I hate the feeling of speed which is why I drive slowly and so does Alex when he drives me. I always find that taxi drivers in particular are so desperate to get onto the next job they just rush everywhere. I get a horrible feeling of just going too fast. I hate anything at funfairs too cos of the same feeling.

I know that I can tell him to slow down but they rarely take notice or care.

Thanks for the advice though - it will be a challenge for me but one that I could do without on a night out for an xmas party.

Will let you know how it goes though.

Nicola

Nic,

Ok, so what is it about speed scares you - whats are your images, thoughts that do the scaring ?

Or could the fear of speed be a throw back to when you were so dizzy and it made it worse ?

Meg

Hi Nic

You could always stuff your jacket up your top and tell the taxi driver you are pregnant and feel sick with too much motion...lol

Sarah
    xx

Hi all

Well I managed to avoid the taxi. We decided to walk cos it was only 10 mins and I was feeling a bit panicky about the taxi. I did say "yes lets go for it" but we couldn't find one and we were running late so we decided to walk anyway.

It chucked it down and I turned up at the party looking like a drowned rat!!

My shoes rubbed one of my heels so that was bleeding - what a mess.

A couple of taxis overtook us and they were going b****y fast so I am glad I avoided it!!
    Walked home drunk and today I am suffering like mad from a hangover.

On a more positive side though, I went up the A1 fiday night and there was an accident and I couldn't avoid it or get off - so it was great therapy. Meg was waiting for this to happen to me.

I coped, I felt anxious but no real panic and I was pleased I did it - onwards and upwards eh?

Nicola

that's good Nic. You're like me you have to wait for the traffic jams, I have to wait for the train to stop in the tunnel. Not wanting it to but knowing it should if I want to get better!

Emily

I don't want to ruin this sucess post but it was appropriate to post here rather than start a new thread.

I just wanted to point something out ....

I have not been well this week - I got bitten on the face by an insect and I react badly and it has gone all infected and has made me feel quite sick and dizzy. I guess that is just the poison.

Anyway I was not atall panicky but just feeling dizzy and when I drove up the A1 I did start to feel panicky. This goes to prove that illness can also make you feel panicky when you are faced with situations that you panic in normally.

Just something to bear in mind.

Nicola

Hi nic!

Sorry to hear about the insect bite:(

Take it easy chat to u soon

Matt

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information