Thread: CBT Article in yesterday's Daily Mail

CBT Article in yesterday's Daily Mail

Talk therapy for the depressed 'could be wasting millions', say psychotherapists

By Jenny Hope

Myth: Therapists believe talking is not always the best treatment for depression sufferers

Depression sufferers may not be receiving the most suitable treatment because of a Government obsession with one type of therapy, warn leading psychotherapists.

The idea that Cognitive Behavioural Therapy is more effective than other methods is a 'myth', they claim.

Last year Health Secretary Alan Johnson announced that by 2010, the Government would spend £173million a year on CBT.

Rather than using drugs to treat depression and other mental health disorders, CBT involves talking through issues.

Instead of investigating the causes of mental health problems, it explores how a patient thinks about the world, with the aim of changing their thinking and actions to relieve distress and symptoms.

For example, a patient having a bad day feels low and goes out to the shops, where they meet someone they know who apparently ignores them.

CBT offers alternative ways of looking at the situation so the patient does not jump to the conclusion they are being ignored, which leads to a vicious circle of lower self-esteem.

Instead the patient is encouraged to think about the other person's feelings, and what helpful actions could be used to make the situation better.
    But leading psychotherapy experts at an international conference at the University of East Anglia will today demand a wider range of therapies on the NHS.

While acknowledging CBT's value, they believe it is receiving the lion's share of funding to the exclusion of other treatments, which they claim are equally effective and, for some patients, better.

Professor Mick Cooper of the University of Strathclyde said: 'The Government's decision to spend £173million on CBT can only be applauded, but not all clients will benefit from that approach.

'There is clear evidence that some clients will do better with other forms of therapy. It all depends on who the client is, and what kind of treatment they can most make use of.'

Professor Cooper added: 'More important is the client's level of motivation. After that, the key ingredient seems to be the quality of the therapeutic relationship, with warm, understanding, trustworthy therapists having the best results.'

Critics say CBT, which is provided on an individual basis or as group therapy, is just a 'sticking plaster' approach to problems.

The Government's increased funding, which will allow 900,000 patients to receive treatment, was announced as part of its Improving Access to Psychological Therapies programme.

But at today's conference of the World Association for Person-Centered and Experiential Psychotherapy and Counselling, British and U. S . researchers will present data that they say debunks the widespread belief in CBT's superior effectiveness.

In a joint statement headed by Professor Cooper, they said that the assumption was merely a result of its increased funding meaning that more studies had been published on it.

Professor Cooper said: 'The result is a widespread belief that no one takes responsibility for. In other words, a myth. This situation has direct negative consequences for other welldeveloped psychotherapies.

'People who get therapy show substantially more change than people who don't get therapy, regardless of the type of therapy they get.'

A review of more than 80 studies found these other forms of psychotherapy were as effective as CBT.

Professor Cooper said: 'In view of these and other data, it is scientifically irresponsible to continue to imply and act as though CBTs are more effective. Such claims harm the public by restricting patient choice and discourage some psychologically distressed people from seeking treatment.

'We urge our CBT colleagues and Government officials to refrain from acting on this harmful myth and to broaden the scope of access to include other effective forms of psychotherapy and counselling.'

Re: CBT Article in yesterday's Daily Mail

Interesting.....

For me personally, the type of therapy I sought was dependant on "where" I as in my recovery.

I chose talking therapy first because I had things I wanted to get off my chest and through talking this enabled me to make certain decisions. It also gave me the drive to move forward and strive to lead a more fulfilling life.

I think CBT has its uses as well - I am in the process of CBT. I chose this route because I feel I need some guidance and I need to tackle negative thoughts that come into my head.

I guess like anything, one certain therapy wont suit everybody. Its down to what the person thinks will work for them. Maybe a combination of therapies is better than just "putting all your eggs in one basket"?

Jo xxxxx
    If I could speak words of water,
    You would drown when I said
    "I love you."

Thread Information