Thread: 14 hour flight in 18 days. Freaking out. Help?

14 hour flight in 18 days. Freaking out. Help?

Hi there,

I'm mostly on the health anxiety board as my anxiety shows itself in multiple forms! I've never really liked flying, but I love travelling and am currently living in South Korea teaching ESL- I love it! However, I had a bad and scary flight from Osaka to Seoul awhile ago and am now terrified of the 14 hour flight I have to endure back to Eastern Canada (and then back again to Korea after three weeks). I'm absolutely convinced my plane will crash. I have yet to convince myself that I am perfectly safe. I desperately need to take this flight as my mother would never forgive me if I didn't come home. Plus my boss is paying for the entire thing... so... no reason not to go, right?

Please help me! I need advice, encouragement- anything you can throw at me to pump me up for these flights. I am up all night every night now, worrying about a flight more than two weeks away. So, so scared. My doctor gave me xanax awhile ago for my OCD and health anxiety, which I never took. Would it be a good idea to have it for the plane ride?

Re: 14 hour flight in 18 days. Freaking out. Help?

Hi Janinel,

In one word yes. I hate to fly, scared to death of it, yet I do it. I've never flown for 14 hours straight, but have gone from the USA to Europe. The one thing I would recommend is you try the xanax before you fly to see how you tolerate it. I would also take magazines that you like to read or a book. I personally prefer magazines over books because the articles are short as my attention span isn't very long due to nerves. Also, most of the planes have music, if not, take something to listen to your favorite tunes to. I know you can't listen while taking off or landing but while in the air it is a great stress reliever. Wear comfortable clothes and take something warm and fuzzy to wear on your feet. My feet always get cold when I fly and also when I am anxious. I also get on board with something sweet (no caffiene sweets tho) to pamper myself. You can always tell the flight attendant that you are anxious and they will take special care of you. I would avoid all caffiene on the flight as it can make you more anxious.

The worst part is before you fly, honest it is. You worry yourself to bits and the flight really isn't bad. We always make it out to be much worse that it is. I know you can do this and will come back with a great success story.

Good luck and have a great time in Canada.

Take care,

Laura

Thread Information