Thread: Vitamin suppliments - how long before they work?

Vitamin suppliments - how long before they work?

I have been taking B complex and zinc now for just over a month but I am not sure I am noticing any benefits from it. Wondering how long it takes for the effects to show?

Also I have to say since I stopped taking my magnesium at night, I haven't been sleeping as well. So I wonder if there is something in it having an effect on sleep.

Re: Vitamin suppliments - how long before they work?

When I first began seeing my current doctor, he put me on a combination of Vitamin C and B complex vitamins. He told me I should begin to see small effects after a month of usage. In my case, that was true. Not that I suddenly was able to do a lot more without triggering anxiety, but I did seem to feel a little stronger and my sleep had improved slightly.

At my next visit, he increased the Vitamin C and added calcium, magnesium, and zinc. Recently, I asked about adding more B1 (thiamine) to the mix and he told me as long as I kept it under a certain range and continued to take the B complex that would be fine. I have found that if I take extra B1 along with my calcium/magnesium/zinc supplement, I do seem to sleep a little deeper and have much more rewarding dreams.

As an aside, I do have a prescription for Xanax that I am to take on an "as needed" basis. But Xanax is really only a management tool that can give my overly sensitive nerves a rest now and then. Xanax is not helping to strengthen my nervous system by providing any type of nourshment to my worn nerves - but the vitamins are.

I don't know your situation, but discussions with long time acquaintances and reading through journals I used to keep in the 80's and 90's have led me to speculate that I was living with some continual and unusual levels of anxiety for many years and just did not recognize it as such. It is events since 2004 that pushed me over the edge, so to speak, and led to my finally trying to seek medical attention this past year.

Did your doctor give you ranges of dosage for each of the vitamins he has you taking? Mine did not initially, but after that first month I bundled up all my vitamin supplements and took them along on my next doctors visit. At that point, he either okayed the dosage or had me increase the amount.

Every month since, I do experience a little bit of improvement in some small way. That doesn't mean it is constantly a forward movement - there are times I seem to take two steps forward and one back. And of course there are those days when I am despondent and feel that I will never be well. But along with those, I seem to experience a few more days each month where I feel hopeful and possess the objectivity to see that something good is happening over time.

Best wishes.

Hi,
    I work in a health shop and magnesium acts as a muscle relaxant, so it does aid sleep. We always tell people to take their magnesium in the evening because of its relaxing effects.
    B vits help with energy levels and those are best taken in the morning, because higher doses can give you trouble falling asleep if you take them late in the day because one of their effects is this increase in energy levels.

Most supplements take about a month to show effects but some do work sooner but it also depends on the individual.
    B vits can work pretty quickly as they are water soluble and the body uses them constantly and on immediate intake. You would notice more effects faster depending on how depleted they were in your body but some people wouldnt necessarily see any effect because B vits are used for all kinds of metabolic functions in the body, things you wouldnt necessarily see or feel externally.
    It can take some time anything from 2 weeks to 6 months before you ever get to actually see or feel something happening from a supplement, we are all different and respond differently and have different needs but one thing is certain, without good nutrition the body (and that includes the brain) cannot function properly so any supplement we can take that may help support our body has always got to be a plus.....but maybe I'm baised.
    But I hope that helps a little

Cath xxxx

Thanks Cath that is really helpful. I do find the magnesium helps a lot, my muscles seem to have stopped twitching since I started it again and I stay asleep rather than waking up at all hours.

I have these two huge cracks in my tongue though and I heard they were a vitamin deficiency. I don't suppose you have heard of this and what I should be taking for it?

I have been taking Berocca for a while now. Anxiety and PAs etc cause the body to stress so I think any supplements are helpful.

I cannot say for certain whether Berocca is working or not for anxiety but I know my hair and my skin are much improved and I now sleep better. That in itself makes me feel better.

Berocca is a high dosage Vit C, Vit B6 & B12 with Zinc Magnesium and some other minerals in.

I typically give supplements 2 months or so before I make a determination on whether or not I feel anything from them. I also do find that I can tell a difference from B vitamins sooner than that though, as they provide me with more energy pretty quickly. And yes, magnesium is known to help you sleep. I think a calcium/magnesium/zinc supplement is a good one to take. With zinc, make sure to take it on a full stomach, and it is know to cause upset stomachs.

Thread Information