Thread: Will it ever end?

Unhappy Will it ever end?

I have been depressed since the age of 13, i am now nearly 20. I have suffered from agoraphobia for almost 3 yrs now. Its getting worse and worse and now i feel completely out of control. I look into ways of helping myself, different types of therapy but i always wind up convincing myself that they wont work (wrong thing to do i know). None of my friends or family understand what im going through, they dont understand why i cant come visit them and why i cant go shopping with them. My fiance is the most understanding man but how is he supposed to understand anxiety and depression and agoraphobia. He's never felt those things. Ive been feeling more and more unstable, like i could just explode to anyone at any moment. Anyway...hope i hvent bored you to much with mylife story.

Tara xxxx

Re: Will it ever end?

Hi Tara,

I too have agoraphobia but it is a lot better than it used to be. I know you may not believe it yet but exposure therapy does work when i was first told this I thought the therapist way mad and didn't know what they were talking about but I followed their advice, I am able to drive again and can manage shopping trips at quiet times, even though it is scary you can overcome this. Oh and I didn't leave my house in 2 years not even to my back gate.

Take care

lilly-lou

Re: Will it ever end?

Tara,

hugs to you hun,
    I too have been agoraphobic and i promise you that you will overcome it, you have to go out but little steps at a time, as often as you can.
    i am at a show on sunday where there will be thousands of people, last month i couldn't go in a shop with one person in the queue.
    Keep going out hun, nothing bad will happen to you.

Di xx

Thread Information