Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: IBS, Crohn's Disease or womens problems?

Re: IBS, Crohn's Disease or womens problems?

Hi Nic,

Hoping today has eased the pain a bit. I wanted to add one more thing, stress can make both of these conditions worse. I know when I went through a certain phase of my migraines I would be fine all week while working and then every weekend I would get the worst migraine you could imagine. The doctors said I would keep all the stress under control until I could basically let it go on the weekend thus getting a migraine. I have no idea if this could be happening to you but thought I would pass it along. I was also going to suggest what CathyV stated and join some sort of support group where you could learn more information. If not NACC I know MSN has a few. Apparently Crohns has flares like Fibro and IBS do so I truly think that is your problem. Now, what to do to get it to stop I don't know, sorry.

Love and hugs,

Laura

Thanks everyone for the advice and ideas.

I am on medication for the Chron's - Pentasa (2 tablets twice a day) and I am under the care of a consultant but he didn't feel the need to see me for another 6 months (due to go back in October).

The reason I have to see the doctor is because he will only prescribe me 3 lots of the medication (which only lasts 25 days) before he wants to talk to me again.

I have about 2.5 weeks worth left so thought I would go and see him earlier and ask about these pains.

Anyway he is on holiday for 2 weeks from tomorrow so I asked to see another GP and was told there were no free appointments with any doctor next week so the first I can get is on Monday 21st.

I don't want to abuse the emergency system they have as it is not a real emergency and when I did need that a few weeks ago when I wasn't very well they were very good and got me in that same day a few hours later.

I will look at that Chron's website Cathy suggested - thanks.

I am on the mini-pill so would have thought the periods would be regular but they seem to have a mind of their own! I have had many blood tests recently but no idea if they would have picked up hormone levels so I would have to ask about that I guess.

Today the pain is a bit better - it had been bad since Friday but has eased today.

I guess it is just IBS or Chron's flare up but no idea what to take for it as pain killers don't work.

Thanks for all the replies anyway and I will look at support groups rather than google "pain in groin area" lol.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by lesleya View Post
    I have ibs and im in the menopause too and i get pains similar to the ones you describe, so it could be a mixture of both. I get crampy pains around the pubic bone/bikini line area and sometimes backache at the same time....oh the joys of being a woman! so it could be your pre-menopausal too. But get your doc to check you out.
    Thats a disgrace that you cant see your gp till 21st july...by law now they are supposed to see you within 48 hrs now or if you think its urgent the same day.
    I hope your feeeling a little better now though.
    Take care
    That is interesting about the back pain Lesley as I have had back pain for about 3 weeks now and put it down to being overweight and hunching over my laptop.

I usually have to allow about 1.5 - 2 weeks to get to see my doctor and as I said above there is no chance of any appointment next week with any doctor so they don't abide by the 48 hour rule here

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I have Crohns Disease, had it for about...9 years or so. Hasn't been easy. But everyone's Crohns acts differently unfortunately. I know my doctor said I was very lucky to not have to be on medication for it yet. His thinking was "As long as it leaves you alone, we'll leave it alone." Which I'm starting to think might be a reason why my body is going haywire again and I'm probably going to have to start medicating it.

My attacks tend to start in the back region and then wind up around to my stomach and they're pretty bad. And yes, Stress is the worst thing for Crohns. Which I believe might be why I'm finding myself having panic attacks, or at least seems that way so far.

I wish you well, hon. And if you ever do want to speak to someone else with Crohns, feel free to message me or msn me. I think we both could use abit of support. *hugs* Take care

nic,
    i am also on the mini pill and the doc should have advised you the same as he did me, sometimes you never have a period or like me you could be on for weeks at a time, mention it to him when you go, my doc also explained to me about the pains i get and said it was ibs related, just explain it when you go but i certainly don't think its anything to worry about.

Di xx

I hope that you can get an earlier appt nic (try ringing again see if theyve a cancellation even) as i think its so much worse you having to wait a long time as it makes you more anxious. I dont know what age you are nic but its a possiblity that you might be pre-menopausal or menopausal now. I was panic/anxiety free for 8 yrs..then wham last april it all came back with a vengenance. Its slightly easier to cope with this time round sometimes as i know what to expect, but its still hard to deal with..especially the going to work part for me. The backache, migraines and cramps are new for me as ive never really suffered them with periods before. Mine are somtimes sporadic and very light and scanty now, but 6 months ago they were heavy and could last a couple of weeks, which doc gave me brilliant tablets for called tran
    Hope it all sorts itself out and you get some help.
    Take care
    xx

Quote Originally Posted by Magik View Post
    I have Crohns Disease, had it for about...9 years or so. Hasn't been easy. But everyone's Crohns acts differently unfortunately. I know my doctor said I was very lucky to not have to be on medication for it yet. His thinking was "As long as it leaves you alone, we'll leave it alone." Which I'm starting to think might be a reason why my body is going haywire again and I'm probably going to have to start medicating it.
    That is interesting as mine is mild apparently yet they put me on meds straight away.

Thanks for the offer of advice and support too.

Lesley - I am 42 now.

I have had a bad 2 months of things with feeling dizzy (viral infection they said) and then bad panic again which I now have under control just about.

I think it is hard for us women with all the extra issues and problems we may have and some can mimic anxiety too.

I am not one of these people that think "Oh god I have cancer" but I was interested in whether these pains were IBS related or something else.

Never had them before and I can understand it is normal but wanted to know if others get them and what can I do to relieve it.

The last thing I want is menopause lol so hope it isn't that - what sort of age do you get that then?? I thought it was in your 50's

I have also had pain where you are suggesting and easing when i go to the loo but it also hurts when i wee! Went to see the doctor she said it was a mixture of a water infection and IBS. I wish i could belive them. Been having it for about 3 weeks and starting to get really stressed.

Nic,

I started perimenopause (the onset) at 35, yes very early. I was done at 45 considered menopausal, don't fret it took me a long time. I could go a whole year without a cycle and then bam in December have a light one and they would say I would have to start over another year until I was considered menopausal. Now that I have gone 5 years without a cycle I am considered post-menopausal at 50 years old, again young at least among all my friends.
    Over here they are now recommending the hormone treatments but when I was going through it they didn't so I went through it without anything, totally natural. I never had any pains or hot flashes but did have the night sweats. Your doctor will be able to tell you, but you are very young. Hope you are feeling better.

Love and hugs,

Laura

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information