Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How long do the effects of diazepam last for?

Re: How long do the effects of diazepam last for?

5 mg of diazepam is very weak. It is equivalent to .5 of Xanax. Dosages with Valium are not the same as Xanax. So when you see 5mg of diazepam vs 2 mg of Xanax it would seem that the Valium would be more potent. But in reality 2 mg of Xanax is 4 times as potent as 5 mg of Valium. The upside is Valium is a more happier experience and it lasts longer.

Just saw this and joined to post really, and I find that they do last a very long time especially for anxiety. On Saturday I had a melt down (I'd ran out of my Citalopram for a week, forgot to get my script like an idiot) and ended up going to the emergency doctor.

At first she would only give me some of the Citalopram, but after I left I went into a rage and flung the bathroom door open smashing into the back wall which broke the vent off the back off of it; I was in tears and I just couldn't control myself, I was was so sorry about the door, the old security guard was like no it's fine, I felt horrible about it :( anyway I asked the receptionist if I could go back in but the waiting time would be another hour, she tried to ring the doctor but she was in with someone else so she didn't pick up, I went and sat down and tried to calm down then ended up just telling the receptionist it was fine and it didn't matter, thinking I could get some Nytol (Diphenhydramine) from the chemist when I picked up my Citalopram.

Wrong. He wouldn't give me it because I was getting the SSRI, which in my opinion was unfair and incorrect but oh well he's the chemist not me. I got home and 5 minutes later the phone rang, it was the doctor and she heard what happened and said she'd fax through a prescription to this late night chemist for some diazepam; relief at last!

I went and picked it up, 21 x 2mg tablets, take 1 or 2 up to three times a day when needed, I usually found 2mg was enough and I felt the effects start within 30 to 45 minutes, with lingering calmness for a good 4 or 5 hours really, perhaps more

Wow that was much longer than intended, anyway I'd just like to say I think that diazepam when used extremely occasionally and only for extremely stressful situations is a godsend, this morning I got this other doctor to prescribe me 15 more 2mg pills because I have a massive singing showcase in Coventry on monday and I'm staying over 2 nights so it's just incase I get worked up really in a foreign environment; the doctor was brilliant about it when I spoke to her, think I'll make her my new doctor

Quote Originally Posted by AlexCon92 View Post
    Just saw this and joined to post really, and I find that they do last a very long time especially for anxiety. On Saturday I had a melt down (I'd ran out of my Citalopram for a week, forgot to get my script like an idiot) and ended up going to the emergency doctor.

At first she would only give me some of the Citalopram, but after I left I went into a rage and flung the bathroom door open smashing into the back wall which broke the vent off the back off of it; I was in tears and I just couldn't control myself, I was was so sorry about the door, the old security guard was like no it's fine, I felt horrible about it :( anyway I asked the receptionist if I could go back in but the waiting time would be another hour, she tried to ring the doctor but she was in with someone else so she didn't pick up, I went and sat down and tried to calm down then ended up just telling the receptionist it was fine and it didn't matter, thinking I could get some Nytol (Diphenhydramine) from the chemist when I picked up my Citalopram.

Wrong. He wouldn't give me it because I was getting the SSRI, which in my opinion was unfair and incorrect but oh well he's the chemist not me. I got home and 5 minutes later the phone rang, it was the doctor and she heard what happened and said she'd fax through a prescription to this late night chemist for some diazepam; relief at last!

I went and picked it up, 21 x 2mg tablets, take 1 or 2 up to three times a day when needed, I usually found 2mg was enough and I felt the effects start within 30 to 45 minutes, with lingering calmness for a good 4 or 5 hours really, perhaps more

Wow that was much longer than intended, anyway I'd just like to say I think that diazepam when used extremely occasionally and only for extremely stressful situations is a godsend, this morning I got this other doctor to prescribe me 15 more 2mg pills because I have a massive singing showcase in Coventry on monday and I'm staying over 2 nights so it's just incase I get worked up really in a foreign environment; the doctor was brilliant about it when I spoke to her, think I'll make her my new doctor
    Sounds like you got a good doctor there.

I agree Diazepam is really helpful, and used carefully is safe. Some docs are too cautious in prescribing diazepam and some don't prescribe at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Social Phobe View Post
    I don't really know why he gave me that doseage. I hope it won't be too much for me. I'm a bit worried now! What doseage did you have before flying? And did it work?

I'll certainly be keeping my eyes closed. I'm glad you say it doesn't hurt, I just hope it doesn't take a long time!
    Dont worry too much about the dose. 5mg will be just fine. I take 5mg all the time. I have to say though that you should not take it and drive because of the sedative effects Valium has on the brain. Valium has a very fast onset of action, meaning it starts working very soon. So you can drive to the doctors if you have to and then take it while you are there with enough time for it to start working. No worries. Every body has a different tolerance for medication. I would suggest if you have an extra dose of Valium, try taking it at home in a controlled environment to establish what is right for you. Hope this helps. Vinny

---------- Post added at 07:17 ---------- Previous post was at 07:13 ----------

Dont worry too much about the dose. 5mg will be just fine. I take 5mg all the time. I have to say though that you should not take it and drive because of the sedative effects Valium has on the brain. Valium has a very fast onset of action, meaning it starts working very soon. So you can drive to the doctors if you have to and then take it while you are there with enough time for it to start working. No worries. Every body has a different tolerance for medication. I would suggest if you have an extra dose of Valium, try taking it at home in a controlled environment to establish what is right for you. Hope this helps. Vinny

Ok I'm on 5 mg for anxiety and as and when I take them so this seems over exaggerated!! I take 3 if need be!! Just chills me out. I have bad anxiety and been on citalopram and sertraline for years but the has bed best help x

---------- Post added at 23:07 ---------- Previous post was at 23:02 ----------

Nice to speak to people that get it x

I am 5mg of valium and find it just makes me sleepy and I am not getting that nice up feeling at all.Should I up the dose ?

I have a severe fear of flying.

Reactions include crying, screaming, shaking, hyperventilating... and sometimes singing.

I recently tried valium for flights scheduled for the holidays.

on the way to mozambique we had 3 flights; 1 hour,(2 hour layover), another one hour flight, and one last 1 hour flight.

for this series of flights I had one 5mg valium on our way to the airport, 2 more at check in for the first flight and 2 more at the second and third check ins, (that is seven in total)

I had none of the abovementioned reactions, though I was still very aware of the fear.

at around the end of the last flight I felt close to passing out, so I wanted to try lowering the doses on the way back

on the way back we only had 2 flights, with one layover, and I only took 4 x 5mg valium.

This was not enough to prevent the above reactions (I has some crying spells, screaming, hyperventilating and shaking.

I think the doses depend very much on the level of anxiety.

---------- Post added at 11:50 ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by mollys View Post
    I am 5mg of valium and find it just makes me sleepy and I am not getting that nice up feeling at all.Should I up the dose ?
    Hi Mollys, as far as I am aware Valium is not an upper, there is no nice feeling even with high doses, all it does is lower perception and reaction mentally, making it easier to cope with high stress situations.

You need to take it according to advised your heath care provider. no any one can suggest you about your dose. It's completely part of your and doctor. on here only we can suggest web site name from there you can purchase this medicine.

Quote Originally Posted by Social Phobe View Post
    Hi everyone.

I'm having a couple of injections/blood test tomorrow and have a bad needle phobia so I got some diazepam from my doctor.

I'm just wondering how long will the effects of it last? I will be taking 5mg, and it will be my first time taking it.

I don't want to take it too soon and for it to wear off before I have the needles since my appointment is in the afternoon.

My doctor said take it after breakfast, but if I take it at 10am will it have worn off by 2pm?

I'd appreciate any responses asap.

Thanks.

How did you get on? I notice your on medications usually for panic attacks and depression. Occasional diazepam use for things that increase this streets is not a bad thing but constant ; daily use is very addictive and they will not be as effective when you really need them . Hope your holiday was a sucsess and your flight was enjoyable

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information