Thread: New here - urinary frequency

Unhappy New here - urinary frequency

Hello everyone,
    I am new here and this is my first post. I have suffered with anxiety since I was about 16 (I am 26 now). There were many periods (most of college actually) when I was convinced I was over my anxiety and done with. The past year it has really come back. My anxiety tends to be always health related, and I freak out about what end up to be minor symptoms or symptoms of anxiety. I have been through the difficulty swallowing, throat tightness, shortness of breath, vision changes, muscle twitches, etc. My most recent symptom that is really freaking me out is urinary frequency. I know this is also a symptom of anxiety, however this has appeared for aparently no reason (I dont recall being anxious enough about anything to bring on new symptoms!) I have had a few urine tests for a water/bladder infection and it came back clear. Thing is, a few days after this symptom appeared I suffered a kidney stone. Once I was dealing with the kidney stone, this went away for a few days. Then, once I was over the kidney stone, I started freaking out again. I had many tests at the hospital during my kidney stone, everything came back normal. They did CT scan of my entire abdomen, did 2 ultrasounds and many urine tests. Everything normal. I am afraid I have a disease like Intersistial Cystitis, an incurable chronic inflammation of the bladder walls. Part of me realizes it may be anxiety, because it seems to be better when I dont think about it or do other things, but I can't keep thinking about IC and convincing myself I have it. My doc doesnt seem too concerned, says that I would probably have pain as well if I had IC. However, I have read online that many docs dont fully understand IC as it is a very little understood disease. I just go back and forth in my mind all day, "its anxiety, it'll pass" or "no, it really is IC."
    Has anyone else had this symptom, and if so did it go away? Right after I go, I feel like I have to go again, even if I don't. The urgency comes and goes almost in pangs.

If anyone can share any info, I would really appreciate it. I am glad I found this site, it seems to be a great community and really helpful and friendly.

Thank you very much!

Valley

Re: New here - urinary frequency

The thing with bladder conditions is that the more we focus on it, the worse it seems to get. I have suffered cystitis all my life and have had 2 cystoscopies done within the last 10 years and all clear. However if I've got to go for a wee, then I've got to go, no hanging about

Do you think you could be suffering with urge incontinence? This is a bit about it:
    http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/23068766/

My friend has a problem with hers in that she wants to go all the time too - as if she cant hold a lot of fluids. She's even had her bladder stretched but it hasn't helped. It's something she just lives with. Within the space of a couple of hours, she can make 2/3 visits to the toilet.

Hi Valley,

Listen, I REALLY wouldn't worry about it. ALL your tests came back clear & I can tell you im ALWAYS running to the toilet. It's a nervous thing believe me.

It's like your body is used to certain anxiety symptoms so a new one comes along.

I freaked out the other day when a pulse like feeling developed in my leg. Bloody freaked me out it did. But again it was nothing.

TRUST me mate. Its nothing to worry about.

Maybe stop taking on so much fluid & see if it lessons in frequency.

But believe me i been running to the toilet about 20 times per day for years. I dont worry about it at all. Its just annoying.

Take care my friend.

Peter

Hiya Vally welcome to nmp
    needing to go to the loo very often is a symptom of the anx hun
    it is a nervous thing just like Peter has said

kellie.xxxxxxxxxx

a warm nmp welcome hun

milly xx

hi all,
    Thank you very much for your replies. I really appreciate your help. The past few days the symptoms haven't been quite as bad, so I'm hoping it will stay that way. Seems lately I'm anxious about being anxious as well, I suppose that doesn't help anything either. I picked up a Claire Weekes book, she is really amazing, its like she knows exactly what the anxiety is like.

Thank you again for your posts!

Hi,
    I also have this. I don't suffer from health anxiety, but for about two years I have needed to go the toilet all the time.

I have been treated for water infections, I have had an abdomen ulta sound and a bladder examination, all of them were normal. The doctor more or less said it was all in my head! I said even when I feel like I really really need to go and when I get there I can go.
    He told me he didn't think I drank enough during the day. I told him if I drank more I would need the toilet more! He told me to practice not going for longer when I was at home and if I didn't think about it could I sometimes forget about it for awhile. At work though I do think what if I need to go to the toilet, then of course I need to go! I also go the toilet go and wash my hands and think I need to go again, a tip the doctor gave me was when I had finished stand up and then sit back down again.

I'm sorry I have no advice, but mine has got better even in work because I don't worry about it as much anymore.
    Try not to worry, I think that makes mine worse.

Take care Anna

Unhappy Re: New here - urinary frequency

Quote Originally Posted by valley View Post
    Hello everyone,
    I am new here and this is my first post. I have suffered with anxiety since I was about 16 (I am 26 now). There were many periods (most of college actually) when I was convinced I was over my anxiety and done with. The past year it has really come back. My anxiety tends to be always health related, and I freak out about what end up to be minor symptoms or symptoms of anxiety. I have been through the difficulty swallowing, throat tightness, shortness of breath, vision changes, muscle twitches, etc. My most recent symptom that is really freaking me out is urinary frequency. I know this is also a symptom of anxiety, however this has appeared for aparently no reason (I dont recall being anxious enough about anything to bring on new symptoms!) I have had a few urine tests for a water/bladder infection and it came back clear. Thing is, a few days after this symptom appeared I suffered a kidney stone. Once I was dealing with the kidney stone, this went away for a few days. Then, once I was over the kidney stone, I started freaking out again. I had many tests at the hospital during my kidney stone, everything came back normal. They did CT scan of my entire abdomen, did 2 ultrasounds and many urine tests. Everything normal. I am afraid I have a disease like Intersistial Cystitis, an incurable chronic inflammation of the bladder walls. Part of me realizes it may be anxiety, because it seems to be better when I dont think about it or do other things, but I can't keep thinking about IC and convincing myself I have it. My doc doesnt seem too concerned, says that I would probably have pain as well if I had IC. However, I have read online that many docs dont fully understand IC as it is a very little understood disease. I just go back and forth in my mind all day, "its anxiety, it'll pass" or "no, it really is IC."
    Has anyone else had this symptom, and if so did it go away? Right after I go, I feel like I have to go again, even if I don't. The urgency comes and goes almost in pangs.

If anyone can share any info, I would really appreciate it. I am glad I found this site, it seems to be a great community and really helpful and friendly.

Thank you very much!

Valley
    hello there, yes i have this same problem it really gets me down, it comes and goes.I convince myself that there is something serious, i watch myself all the time, waiting for the urge to get worse.I have noticed if i am doing something interesting it goes away.I have suffered with my nerves all my adult life and symptoms have been many.Twelve years ago i suffered a stroke,I noticed that the anxiety although at first was worse, it eventually went away totaly and i thought i was cured.A couple of years ago i had gall stones and had to have my gall bladder removed.
    Afterwards i had a few problems with upset stomach etc, this sparked my anxiety off again, and all the symptoms started crowding in on me.It took a while for me to realise what it was.This wanting to wee all the time is the worst symptom i have at the moment, its really getting me down.If i am doing something interesting it goes, but then comes back again.There is no pain, just wanting to wee all the time.take care Chrissy-311
    Last edited by chrissy-311; 07-05-09 at 18:46. Reason: inserting name

hello there, yes i have this same problem it really gets me down, it comes and goes.I convince myself that there is something serious, i watch myself all the time, waiting for the urge to get worse.I have noticed if i am doing something interesting it goes away.I have suffered with my nerves all my adult life and symptoms have been many.Twelve years ago i suffered a stroke,I noticed that the anxiety although at first was worse, it eventually went away totaly and i thought i was cured.A couple of years ago i had gall stones and had to have my gall bladder removed.
    Afterwards i had a few problems with upset stomach etc, this sparked my anxiety off again, and all the symptoms started crowding in on me.It took a while for me to realise what it was.This wanting to wee all the time is the worst symptom i have at the moment, its really getting me down.If i am doing something interesting it goes, but then comes back again.There is no pain, just wanting to wee all the time.

Hi and welcome!

I have had this problem for what feels like years though I'm only 24. I go to the bathroom at least every half hour when I'm not thinking about it--and even more frequently if I do think about it! I've had lots of people tell me "What is wrong with you? You must have Diabetes or something!" But I think it's because I drink a lot(again people say Diabetes). I've been tested multiple times though and that's not it. I've just come to the realization that I drink a lot and I pee a lot.

I would definately say that you would probably get the urge more frequently if you are thinking about it. As I said, I've experienced that myself.

Try not to think about it. You've had lots of tests done and everything came back fine! Just keep telling yourself that. That's one of my tricks I use with my HA. Reassure yourself by reminding yourself that you have been checked, and you are OK! Take care hun! I hope that I helped a little.

Thread Information