Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Yay To Citalopram

Re: Yay To Citalopram

I've only been on 10mg of Citalopram for 8 weeks and I feel like me again! I had a severe bout of depression which lead to Panic Disorder. Propranolol didn't agree with me so this was plan B. I never believed I could feel 'normal' again.

I was dreading returning to work after the school holidays, fearing another breakdown (mine was definitely work-related!). I went back on Monday, did an 'off the cuff' presentation to 50+ staff (the head put me on the spot!) and was absolutely fine. In fact, I seem to be coping with all of the changes better than the majority!

It's easy to think that I no longer need the medication, but I have been warned not to rush into this. I no longer resent the fact that I am on medication for my problem, I am now simply grateful for the restored normality in my life!

I have not posted before but I wanted to reply to this.

Long story short, or as short a possible!! I have suffered a number of panic attacks - i did not know for a long time what was wrong or that they were panic attacks, after my last big one which was 6 months ago - at the same time as this I also got a nasty infection.

I have been for a huge number of tests and the worry of it all along with the panic attacks caused severe anxiety, although I did not know that was what it was!! I have been off work for 6 months and have lost 3.5 stone due to simply not being able to eat and being sick every day. I could not understand what the hell was wrong with me - I was a healthy very active 33 year old before all this, I have quite literally worried myself sick.

After all the test results came back with nothing serious and a long chat with the doctor he put me on Citalopram as I was also (unsuprisingly!) very depressed. I was somewhat doubtful and the first week was hell. I was 10 times worse than before and could barely get out of bed, I couldn't even hold a conversation with family members without going into a panic and being sick. I got to the point of saying I was going to stop them but my wife talked me into carrying on.

I am so glad I did. I have been on them 3 weeks tomorrow and I feel so much better. This morning was the first morning for months I have woken up and not had pins and needles and aches and pains all over and been sick. That is not to say I won't have tomorrow but one day at a time eh! I have been gradually and slowly getting better and better each day, I haven't always noticed but my family has.

I also walked to the village this morning and had a cup of tea in the cafe and the went to the local town this afternoon and walked round the shopping centre. It was still very hard after being virtually housebound and scared to go out for months but I did it and survived. I did not panic and I wasn't sick. I could not have done it a month ago, I would have been shaking and retching all the way there in the car.

So if anyone is scared to take these tablets don't be, just grit your teeth for the first week or two, they might just really help you, they have me. I am sure I will still have bad days and I know I need a huge amount of willpower as well to get over this but I feel that the tablets have just given me that extra bit of help I needed to help myself.

The only problem I am still having is waking up at odd hours but that is slowly getting better as well.

And at least I now have a name for what has been happening to me for the last 2 years. I had always thought I was just odd and was getting hour long bursts of food poisioning!!!

Just got that small hurdle of getting back to work to get over now
    Last edited by vti2007; 09-09-08 at 17:30.

hey i have just been prescribed these tablets and am really scared about taking them... do they make u feel better?

Zoe,

As I said above they made me feel A LOT worse for about a week but after that it rapidly got better. The way they have worked for me so far is :

1) I felt worse and got a load of side effects
    2) The side effects and feeling worse passed after 5-7 days
    3) Felt back to how I felt before I took them for the next few days
    4) VERY gradually started to feel more "normal" and not so ill and anxious in patches and slowly the good patches outnumbered the bad patches. Still have bad days/moments after 3 weeks but 1000% better than I was a month ago.

Still tired and a bit achy but it is kind of easier to push through it now, a month ago I could see no way out.

Go for it but don't organise much for the first week and get some good books in!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information