Thread: after endoscopy...i am scaring myself

after endoscopy...i am scaring myself

Well I just got back from having endoscopy and sigmoidoscopy done and just like i was panicked before going about the results, now i am all panicky observing anything i feel and scaring myself...you know they always tell you things may happen but chances are very slim, but to my brain that is like a big red light...and i feel so aprehensive...my throat feels soo sore from swallowing the thing and i at some moments i fear i am find it hard to breathe...then there's the perforation and bleeding fear...when i first came there my bp was noprmally high considering the anxiety, but when she measured it towards the end of tests it was like 110/79 which is normal and slightly low, so i started panicking about it ever since, bp would fall if u're bleeding...i keep feeling woozy ever since...and drained, which is also scaring me instead of being a normal reaction after having a day like this...plus i am having my first food now...By the way, both tests showed everything was normal...And instead of being happy coz of that i am now petrified something will happen to me, keep checking i am not bleeding from my bottom....
    How did it feel after the endoscopy for you (anyone who did it, i read there were some people)?
    Oh how do I break out of this fear cycle...

Re: after endoscopy...i am scaring myself

I had an endoscopy a few years ago (I had the throat spray) I was fine and went to art classes in the afternoon.

I also had a colonoscopy without sedation and pain killers it was very interesting looking at the monitor (that's nurses for you).

It took 20mins but it was OK mind you I was glad to have a cup of coffee and some toast later. I was OK after.

Stop imagining things you will be OK just have your dinner and put your feet up and watch a bit of TV.

Thanks guys, i've been watching tv and trying to relax, feel ehxausted but bit better...i thought when i do this and results are good i will be over the moon, i just feel a bit too tired right now for that lol I spent almost 2 hours there just waiting for it to happen in my goun all ready and anxious, so this can make u feel drained afterwards, especially when it is followed by minutes of intense panic...well i didn't want the sedation coz i don't like the drowsy feeling, can make me even more panicky...
    Now I am facing another problem, all the stomach issues i have been dealing with, well there is obviously nothing wrong inside there, how could i feel such a horrible things and there is nothing wrong...i just want to stop worrying about it, i thought i will, but now i still feel something in my stomach after i ate, and i know they put some air inside during the test and the nurse said it may make me feel bloated, but i still worry ...
    Thank you for listening to my rant...

Quote Originally Posted by mila View Post
    Thanks guys, i've been watching tv and trying to relax, feel ehxausted but bit better...i thought when i do this and results are good i will be over the moon, i just feel a bit too tired right now for that lol I spent almost 2 hours there just waiting for it to happen in my goun all ready and anxious, so this can make u feel drained afterwards, especially when it is followed by minutes of intense panic...well i didn't want the sedation coz i don't like the drowsy feeling, can make me even more panicky...
    Now I am facing another problem, all the stomach issues i have been dealing with, well there is obviously nothing wrong inside there, how could i feel such a horrible things and there is nothing wrong...i just want to stop worrying about it, i thought i will, but now i still feel something in my stomach after i ate, and i know they put some air inside during the test and the nurse said it may make me feel bloated, but i still worry ...
    Thank you for listening to my rant...
    Don't worry, you are fine it's all the air rolling around you can feel.

My throat feels so achey, deep down, when i swallow particularly...I keep fearing it will close up or something, i am in real panic about it...I am travelling today, I just want to get on with my life now, but these fears are really affecting me, i was having problems falling asleep coz of the fear...
    Thank you Trixie...and Lolly...
    I know I am panicing about this more than I should, but I can't help it...
    Just when someone give you warning signs and if u get any after discharge you should immidietly seek help, i get all in a twist, listening all the time to my body and i am not really sure when i am suppose to stop...and any little thing i feel freezes me in fear...

mila
    i have had endoscopy,sigmoidoscopy and colonoscopy and all the results were good.what i wanted to tell you was what was told to me about anx and the stomach.my consultant said "there are more nerves going from the gut to the brain than there are from the spinal chord to the brain" meaning that extremes of anxiety are often felt in the stomach area,therefore feeling pain,discomfort,worry etc you are likely to feel it in the stomach.he told me (as im a biker) to imagine a near collision and lo and behold it was my tummy that reacted first.
    just a thought to help you
    lots of love ade x

Quote Originally Posted by mila View Post
    My throat feels so achey, deep down, when i swallow particularly...I keep fearing it will close up or something, i am in real panic about it...I am travelling today, I just want to get on with my life now, but these fears are really affecting me, i was having problems falling asleep coz of the fear...
    Thank you Trixie...and Lolly...
    I know I am panicing about this more than I should, but I can't help it...
    Just when someone give you warning signs and if u get any after discharge you should immidietly seek help, i get all in a twist, listening all the time to my body and i am not really sure when i am suppose to stop...and any little thing i feel freezes me in fear...
    Sometimes our worries are quite irrational. I heard the other day that my brain tumour had grown a little. I went home carried on as usual went to bed at 10pm fell asleep and slept soundly all through the night. BUT last night (and today) my oldest Siamese is off colour and I have been awake since 3.30am am worried sick.........see I told you it doesn't make sense.

Thread Information