Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: endoscopy

Re: endoscopy

Hi Jill,

I had this done along with a colonoscopy, yikes!!! I was not put to sleep but sedated and as they were sedating me they sprayed my throat with a numbing spray as they were going to do this procedure first. I felt nothing and the next day had maybe a slight sore throat. After that nothing at all, no memory of either procedure. You will do fine.

Many hugs,

Laura

well I hope all the positive talk comes true. having anxiety without any stressors is bad enough without all this. Last Thurs i had a knee op to repair a torn cartilidge, today an ultra sound to check for gallstones which it looks like I havent got. my anxiety is getting a battering and is hitting the roof

Joy

Joy,

You are having a rough time aren't you? It is always difficult to have physical issues along with anxiety. I hope it ends soon and you can recover. Glad to hear the news on the gallstones.

Please take care,

Laura xxx

Hi Joy, I know im a newbie here but I can honestly say having had three scopes all with sedation I remember nothing of the actual procedure and even though Im a really panicky person I would have another with relative ease with sedation of course. good luck and take care. Stevie

Hi Joy

I had an endoscopy and a colonoscopy done on the same day in April. I was given the option to be sedated and to be honest i had to take it as i knew if i didnt as soon as i saw that tube thing i would have ran and ran and ran.

Like you I was so scared, but it was absoloutly fine- the doctor was fantastic - he gave me the sedation stuff through my hand and it was the best feeling in the world- if they sold that stuff in bottles my anxiety would be cured haha. He also sprayed the back of my throat with stuff that tasted like banana (by this time i was half gone so it could have tasted like anything) and that stopped your gag reflexes working so its so much easier for the tube (you also then dont have any pain after it as everything has been numbed) i went private through work so not sure if NHS do the spray but i would ask them??

hope all goes well.

x

Thanks everyone

Joy

Still ever so scared

I was scared, too, and it wasn't pleasant, but it was soo much quicker than I thought it was going to be. the actual tube in throat only lasted about 90 seconds!! They only sprayed me, not really given a sedation option, but it was ok. i didn't see any of the equipment they used - it was all quite discretely out of view, so didn't have any horrible jumping off bed moments! the nurses were really nice and reassuring too. my throat was a bit sore afterwards, but nothing too bad. You will be ok!

Good news on the gallstones as believe me id rather have a week long labour and numerous endoscopys.

I chose not to be sedated as I needed to be able to drive, just had the throat spray, No it isnt pleasant this way but like has been said its over with quickly and the staff were supurb to say the least at trying to keep me calm, which helped enormously. When it was over I wondered why I had stressed so much about it, if you are going to be sedated anyway it sounds like its alot easier, hope all goes well for you x x

Oh I did have a sore throat the next day and my stomach felt a bit sore but that was it.

I had an endoscopy and colonoscopy and was sedated. Beforehand I was absolutely petrified of being sedated. However it turned out ok, in fact it was was quite a nice sleepy sensation but I could still hold a conversation with the nurses. The procedure was really quick and I was back in a side room having a snooze in no time.
    Although I recovered quickly from the sedation I did feel quite tired during the evening so I would say take it quietly after you get home.

good luck, I sure you will be fine

Pansy

Well I had it done and as everyone said it wasnt as bad as i thought altho unpleasant. the sedation didnt seem to work that well and I only slept when i got home!
    Anyway nothing sinister was found

Thanks for all the postings and encouragement

Love Joy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information