Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 100% recovered??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

100% recovered??

Hello all,

after vernons thread about recovery and micos response to read if anyone has recovered, to what exent i would write the following.

When i was diagionsed by GP and subsequent pshyciatris that i was suffering with anxiety i was in bits. It took no rest, it was with me every moment of the day, every thought scared me, every movement frightened me, i had no rest at all. this was back in march 2004 after I suffered a mild concussion, I was so worried i had damaged my brain permantely it took over my life, when this was cleared up i then thought i had scizoprinia, when this was resolved i convinced myself i was bi polar depressive, when this was cleared up i was convinced i had epilepsy.....and then diabetes, then....well then anything i read about as my symptons were unbeaable and couldnt just be anxiety!!

I was so tired, tiredness that made me almost fall asleep when driving, a tiredness of mind and body a tirdenss that made me say this is not normaL AND CANT BE ANXIETY!!

i had headaches, crushing headaches, headaches that made my vision go double, my face ached, I had tinnitus in my ears all the time........i thought i was truly going mad.....i was convinced of this fact.........i found it hard to function at all.......

i had thoughts that i might kill someone, terible scary images which just reinforced my belief of insanity, i had thoughts of hurting my wife, family......horrendous thoughts......thoughts that almost redcuced me to tears at times...........thoughts that made no sense so...i must be mad........

i was scared to go shopping, scared to talk to people scared to go near small children....as what if i did something to them???!!! scared to speak to starngers in case i started barking like a dog!!! i know it sounds crazy but i truly belived that any of these things could happen....and probably would happen.

I searched and searched the world looking for an answer as it just couldnt be worry..........it had to be something worse..........

so......how did i get better??

well, firstly i never ever stopped doing things, like going to the shops, like talking to people, always went to work....and belive me if anyone says he mustne of been that bad i can tell you it was a struggle beyond belive.......i was borderline hospital case but i never ever stopped functioning even on a very redcued level.......i couldnt and wouldnt give up.

i started to make sure my diet was correct, sensible meals at sensible times, i made sure i got out every day.........but the real brake through for me came in accpeting, just simple acceptance and patience.

accpeting that tommorow i wouldnt feel perfect, accpeting it was just anxiety and being patient in the fact that it would ease. Not being afarid of my thoughts, just accepting them as thoughts not instructions, laughing at there studipness.........

learning that your thoughts control your body, think frightening and be frightened, and accetping that..........accepting that these thoughts are just thoughts.

i also accepted that DR and DP are just normal responses to stress and inward thinking....and when this strange feeling came along just go with it....its just a chemical response and your bodies way of dealing with your thoughts, not impending doom of insanity........and it eases........

when i began to see that my body and mind were easing by just simple being paitent and accepting this situation for what it is, just worry, life became simplier. i began to see my personality return, though a little more understanding this time, i began to recognise some of my thinking as exstreme in the past and by doing this you can deal with smaller issues on a more realistic basis. and this has helped enormoulsy in recent months.

my doctor once said it taken a long time to get to this state and it will take a long time to recover, and he was right, we want rid of this tommorow but by hoping for this we are only perpetulating the worry and despair when it doesnt happen, accpet it wont happen tommorow or the day after but do accept that it will happe

thats an amazing story doddy. thank you.
    when i am feeling there is no end, although those times are slowly getting less, i will read your story.
    I totally agree its acceptance and patience. I wish you could buy those in a bottle!!
    must go - i'm burning dinner!
    Lisa
    xxx

Doddy, I'm just having a bad spell as we speak and reading that has made me feel so much better you can't believe. I've experienced a lot of what you've been through only this time I'm concentrating all my thoughts and energies into one fear, my throat. I'm at the stage where I've accepted there's nothing wrong, I've accepted that I can have bad days and that's all they are. My main concern is that it might never really go and always be lurking about in the shadows with me always concious of it. After reading your post, I am starting to feel a bit more light hearted than I have done all day.

Thank you so much for an excellent post and WELL DONE to you!

BEST wishes,

Mark

I can vouch for Doddy hard work at this .

I have over 200 emails we had back and forth over the last few months which clearly depict his progress.

proactiveness, positivity, persistence, perseverance and practice = progress

Its a gradual process and its one that needs work and dedication.

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
    Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

fully agree with doddy 80% even is a great achievment as when i was low I dont think I was 2%. And thats another problem I am trying to beat thats patience, I am very inpatient but I am 90% better than I was a year ago.

Well done Doddy. All your hard work and determination has paid off. You've done so well.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

thank you for your replies.......

there is nothing inside me which isnt in each and everyone of you and I know that with time, patience, accpetance, support and good solid information this anxiety state does not need to be permanent.

meg......a thank you from the bottom of my heart for you support, caring, wise words and frienship........you gave light in the darkness......and you were right.....patience and accpetance are the key....did i ever doubt you??? lol

andy

Lol , I recall several times when you said - thats it ... I'm off for meds and I can't do this any more and it was all too much.. a couple of times I'd come home to several emails and we'd work through each fear time and again and then one day I came home to 2 emails - one in despair and the next saying it had passed and was now ok.
    Then, I knew you'd turned the corner and would be fine. You clicked finally that it is not the amount of times you get scared but the intensity and duration that change first... and how to start to shift it

Well done.

Hi Doddy,

Just want to say WELL DONE for getting where you are now I am sooo happy for you.
    I too am alot better, You are right that the pecentage dose not matter, I used to say I am 98% better most days 100%, but the 2% dose not matter. I am 100% better
    Your post WILL show other people that this can be beaten

TAKE CARE
    WISHING YOU AND YOUR FAMILY HEALTH AND HAPPINESS
    LOVE JILLXXX

May your troubles be less
    and your blessings be more
    and nothing but happiness
    come through your door.

Hi Doddy - I think you are so right.

The first time you realise that if rather than worrying about when you'll be free of anxiety, you think well I'll learn to live beside it and ask for help/reassurance as and when I need it and try and get on with things meantime, then I think you turn a corner (even if this seems a small corner at the time).

I found also trying to change your perspective at the same time and really work on the old self-esteem issue is a worthwhile goal - exactly as was said to you, it took a long time to get into this state so you can't possibly expect an instant cure.

It's also important to remember everybody in the world has anxieties and worries so it's not at all realistic to think you'll never to feel anxious again. I suppose we just want to feel ok in everyday situations don't we.

I'm getting there - 'slow but steady wins the race'.

Love Piglet

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information