Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Palpitations? Reassurance needed and some answers!

Palpitations? Reassurance needed and some answers!

Hi everyone.

I've read lots of posts on palipitations, etc. but as with most things I think I need some reassurance and some answers that I couldn't find on the forum.

I've been doing well recently But yesterday especially I kept getting a feeling on/off in my chest. It felt like a few strong heartbeats accompanied by a shot of adrenaline/nervousness and then went back to normal. Is it possible to have palipitations for only a few beats? Or does this sound like an ectopic beat? Or perhaps it's just my mind wandering an noticing it?

Anyway I'd get 3 or 4 of these feelings in the space of say 1/2 hour, and this occured in 4 or 5 blocks yesterday. I did a medium-intensity session in the gym later and felt a bit better for exercising, but last night about 10pm the palpitations started. It was normal pace and seemed regular but very strong. This continued for most of the night, although I did get about 2 hrs sleep after 3am (sleepnessess was also contributed to by my partner who was awake and nervous for other reasons) I'm sat at my desk now and feel ok -- but does anyone have any hints on getting rid of palipitations? I couldn't find a comfy position anywhere were I couldn't hear my heart.... Also does anyone else get this after exercise? Or is it likely that the two aren't that connected? (I don't want to start being put off exercise, I need to get fitter - but I don't want sleepness nights either...)

Sorry for all the questions in there!

Craig

Oh - one more addition. The doc prescribed me a low does of beta-blockers (propah... errr, you know the one) - 10mg; to be taken as and when just in case my heart rate kept on going high. It hasn't done this for a while, so I haven't taken any. I've seen posts that suggest they help palpitations. Does anyone else take one when palpiations occur (rather than take them regularly). I wasn't sure if this was a good idea -- as my heart rate is ok and I didn't want to slow it down too much....

hi Craig,

I have had palpitations that have only lasted a couple of seconds. I have never been on beta-blockers myself but my bfriend was on them for a while. He only took them when he felt that he needed them and they helped him with the palpitations as well. Hope this helps somewhat..

Sarah

Hi Craig,
    I dont know if this will be of much help to you-as i cant say whether it is connected to exercise- but i just thought id let you know that whenever i get palpitations they are exactly as you explained- just 2 or 3 really fast beats and then a kind of shot of adrenaline and they seem to come from nowhere and at no particular time. Just to let you know that you're not alone

Em x

**Is it possible to have palipitations for only a few beats? Or does this sound like an ectopic beat? Or perhaps it's just my mind wandering an noticing it?**

Yes it is possible to have palpitations/ ectopics for a few beats only and this is very common. Often felt in the throat too.

You nighttime stint seems to be more a pounding heart than palpitations - which generally feel irregular.

Doing some active relaxation eg CD can help calm your heart rate down

Magnesium and calcium supplements together are reputed to help but I've not got personal experience of this.

Getting used to it not being dangerous helps in itself as you stop producing fear chemicals which perpetuate the palpitations.

Propanolol is meant to be taken regularly but many many anxious people take them as needed and it works well- just be aware you may get a bit wobbly initially.

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
    Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Thanks for the replies

So is the advice for heart pounding the same as for other symptoms. I.e. it won't harm you, ignore it and it'll go away?

Also is there any likely triggers for this? (or an easy way to stop it?) . Would the propanolol help a pounding heart at all?

Craig,

The heart pounding will not hurt you and the less worried you are about it, the less it will happen. The propanolol will help you with the palpitations.

Sarah

Craig,

Yes, thats pretty much the way forward.

Palpitations: palpatations
    Missed heartbeats!
    sorry for being silly....but....

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
    Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Thanks again for the replies!

I'll bear with it for now -- palps are not too bad, but if they get worse I'll use the meds.

Once again, having reassurance that others have 2-3 beat palps and that heart pounding is nothing to worry about is a massive help!

Re: Palpitations? Reassurance needed and some answers!

hi craig calm down u will b ok iget those horrible palpys to stress youre diet and anxiety can make them worse when u get them try to focus on something else go and to something just dont think of them it makes them worse try an chill we r all here 4 u ok xxxx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information