Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: throat swelling fear

Re: throat swelling fear

Hi Helen

I'm so sorry to hear about your throat problem. I understand that it is the most common symptom of anxiety, there are many many sufferers. I suffer with it too, and agree with you that it is the most frightening thing in the world.
    Were you reassured when you went to A&E that there is nothing wrong? If not, go back and get them to explore more thoroughly - just to put your mind at rest. I did the same as you, and the advice was 'go home and have a large drink, and calm down'. Of course, its not as easy as that is it!?
    I decided to try and sort out the problem for myself - here's what I did. First of all, I bought some Calm teabags - twinings I think - and I made a cup of the tea, with honey, and let it cool a little. Then I gargled with it. It's really soothing, and gentle on the throat. EVen if you don't feel like swallowing it, you can still gargle.
    Next, I took a dose of piriton syrup las thing at night. It makes me relaxed, and a little drowsy, and because its liquid it's not so hard to swallow.
    So, that was the first step. I used to find that as soon as I tried to go to sleep, I became very aware of not being able to swallow. So, I took a good book to bed, and read until I fell asleep. I just let the book fall off me, and left the light on, so that I avoided that feeling of laying there trying to sleep.
    If I woke in the night, I read some more, and laid there thinking of a really nice place (in my case sunset over the Mile), and moved my thoughts to the next day, and every detail of what I was going to do.
    Eventually I moved my focus away from my throat (it took a few days). You can do it too.
    I still suffer from that feeling of a lump in the throat, but it's much better.
    Sorry to go on!!
    I hope you conquer this really soon.
    Take care
    Much love
    Janey

this was a horrible accident you had to go through and anyone with anxiety or even without would react just as scared. but with anxiety disorders you are going to remember the bad events longer saying what if or this is still here when it might be gone. follow up with the doctors if they dont see anything it could be your anxiety , my anxiety makes me feel like im choking and sometimes have bad breathing so i know how you can feel it ontop of being sick magnifies everything. if they recheck you and nothing is there then you can relax and say thank goodness. im sorry you had to go through this my sisters friend had the same thing happen and they actually had to drain her face as well as gums! she is all better now and it takes some recovery days so let yourself heal hun
    goodluck and try to think positive and try to stay busy and see if when you dont think about it you feel better -bostonbuttafly25

well i went to my gp today and he gave me more antibiotics and some tablets incase what i have is caused by heartburn he also said he is going to referre me for a barium test i just hope it doesnt take too long cos these symptoms are very scarey and really getting me down i told him i have been unable to eat as well whatever this is i just want it to go away its really destroying my life i cant cry cos it makes it worse i just hope the appointment doesnt take too long because its really affecting my life

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information