Thread: Oral Cancer fears

Oral Cancer fears

I, 33 yo male, recently noticed a small hard growth underneath the skin on one retromolar pad(skin behind molar). I can notice it to the touch, but it is not easily visible (although looks whitish when I agitate it). No pain, except I have been agitating. It may have been present previously, but I cannot be sure.

I quit using tobacco about 1 month ago, but have used either chewing tobacco or smoked on and off for the past 14 years. Do not drink much now , but had my fair share throughout my 20s. No history of oral cancer in family.

I am paranoid and will bring it up at my next regularly scheduled dentist visit (2 weeks), but looking for idieas of what this could be. I went to walk in clinic and he said no visible signs of cancer, but I am still concerned.

I am concerned and slightly hypochondriacish. Your advice on what this may be, other than cancer, would be helpful.

Re: Oral Cancer fears

Did you already get your wisdom teeth? Its not them coming through is it? I get alot of lumps and bumps in my mouth that I tend to worry about as well but they go away in time. With your age and no family history I am sure the chances are quite low of it being anything serious. Maybe if its still there visit the dentist or doctor and have them take a look. Likely the dentist might be better because they can xray. I am very hypchondriacish so I can understand your worry.
    Congratulations on one month no smoking, that is fantastic!!! I will be 11 years smoke free in November!

Thank you for the response and nice work on 11 years. I did have one set (top or bottom) of wisdom taken out, but I am not sure which one, so that could be the case. Also, a few months ago I had a CT scan to look into some sinus problems I have been having. If it were cancer, should it have picked it up?

For sure it wouldve picked it up. I wouldnt worry to much.

Once again, I appreciate your thoughts. Possibly it will help alleviate me sticking my finger in my mouth all day picking the stupid thing. Nerves and anxiety are still high, but slightly better.

I think it is unlikely you have cancer although it is good to get a check up from your dentist. There are other symptoms of mouth cancer besides the lump you describe so I wouldn't worry too much. It's probably just a mouth ulcer which we all get.

Thanks Jesse

Thread Information