Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best med for sleep

Best med for sleep

I am currently taking Zopiclone from the docs for sleep and I want to get off this drug.. I was given it from the docs because I didnt sleep for nearly two weeks..

Its been great and helped me sleep I've taken it for 9 days in a row though and dont want to get addicted..

I've tried to sleep without it and find its 3 am and still no sleep...

As soon as I take one (3.75mg) I'm out..

I really dont want to get dependant (If I'm not already!)

I would like to come off it.. any ideas on the best route?

Having only taken it for little over a week I'm hoping I can come off it easily..

and I've only ever taken then lowest dose.. But still find it very difficult to get off to sleep without it.

I would like to switch to say nytol or something similiar but dont know if I can just simply switch.. Dont know if theres any other hebal that works either.. I've had nytol before and it made me really sleepy but didnt actually MAKE me sleep.. like the zopiclone

Dan
    Last edited by dlou84; 05-08-08 at 10:21.

Re: Best med for sleep

Hello,

Zopiclone does have dependant properties and if you are starting to feel as though you are maybe getting dependant on it perhaps ys now is the time to consider an alternative.
    Im presuming you have spopen to your dr about this, as im sure your aware its never great just to stop a drug especially one like zopiclone aas you are using it to help you sleep.....

I being a health professional would im sure advice what the dr would in that gradually reduce your prescription/dose and keep oing this daily until you are really taking very little. In the meantime i would like to recommend you research a drug. I personally take this as it makes me feel calmer, happier, helps me relax & sleep at night and just generally lifts my mood. The drug is called 5-htp. 5-htp is a natural remedy produced by the griffonia see, griffonia seed extracts are found in the SSRI drugs. 5-htp basically increases the serotonin levels in the brain. Its when the levels are low we experience problems with low mood, insomia, migraines etc, so its merely increasing those to inhibit the action.

I personally have found the drug a live saver after suffering a nervous breakdown due to finishing a degree, nursing a sick mother & the breakup of a realtionship. I suffered with anxiety, worry & insomnia all of which could not be treated with synthetic medication prescribed by my GP. I then went on to research an alternative product and it seemed all of the research (good studies & reliable research) pointed to this. This drug has been used for years in mant countries & it seems america are very much supporting and recognising its benefits replacing this with many of the current synthetic prescriptions. I for one am certainly not saying it works for eberyone as different peoples cases are much more complex to the next, however it does work and has shown to have great effect in those areas i stated. I am quite aware that GP's are not reconnising the benefts of this drug as i have spoken to my GP about it who had a very negative view on natural remedys. Despite this its apparent that he is not there to acknowledge those benefits as he is only able to recommend the synthetic drugs he has been taught upon using and prescribing.

I will attach a website that simply explains what i have said and will clarify some issues you may have. However i suggest you go ahead and research this for yourself to ensure its the right product for you.
    5-htp is available in Holland & Barrett, Naturers best-online & many other health stores.

The website with a simple clarification is http://www.wholehealthmd.com/ME2/dir...31AB762&tier=2

A stupid address i know, you can find the info at a site called wholehealthmd.com and you will need to go into the supplements area & you will see a sign saying related article.

Best Wishes

Nicola

Hey thanks for the detailed post..

I'm currently on an SSRI (Cipralex) I'm on my 11th day currently..

not really felt any "lift" although I've been on holiday this week and was loving it! Now I'm back in this house I hate it!!

I think a lot of it is to do with being in this house all day long..

I just want to get back to how I used to be..

Hi - I've suffered from sleep problems since giving up alcohol. I'm currently on Zopiclone (15mg) and have been for 10 days. My sleep is a lot better now, and I am due to come off the drug completely (ie stop immediately / cold turkey from 15mg) in 4 days time.

I am neither medically trained or a doctor, but my understanding of this med is that it is predominantly used for short term treatment of sleep disorders. I think the British Pharmacopia recommend a maximum of 2 weeks use to avoid dependancy.

I have no fear of going from 15mg to 0. Its done what I asked the doc to help me with. I am now going to sleep at around 1am instead of 9am and should have my sleep the right side of midnight by the end of the course.

I'm not sure "weaning off" 3.75mg is necessary - but your docs the one who will know best. They taste disgusting anyway (when swallowed and the following day), so I coudn't imagine how bad the taste of breaking one in half would be.

Krakers.

When your heads in the sand you can't see the wood for the trees - namely because you're staring at sand.

don't want to sound patronising but you know what helps me,
    radox bath things ideally the anti stress one 15 mins in that and then have a horlicks, the milker the better it sends me out like a light its like having some sort of sleeping draught!

Heather

XXXXXXXXXX

Yeah Heather thats exactly what I'm going to do tonight..

Its what I normally do and works.. but pills are easier lol

Following up on yourr original question Dan, Night Nurse has worked for me previously. It sent me to sleep easily, but the liquid one version is about 14% alcohol, so I can't have that anymore. I think the tablets are alcohol free, but as they are a med, check with your doc that they won't interact with your current meds. Mine said it was fine to take (just not the liquid one anymore !).

Krakers.

When your heads in the sand you can't see the wood for the trees - namely because you're staring at sand.

Cheers everyone.. Not had any sleep lol..

So tired.. Anyway I've just got another pack of zop for a week..

I want to like you get my sleeping pattern back.. I dont actually have a sleeping pattern at the moment lol..

One of the things that really help me to sleep is Kalms, they are herbal and help promote natural sleep, Im not sure if anyone has heard of them but you can usually pick them up from any chemist etc.
    Hope this is of some help to you

Quote Originally Posted by Krakers View Post
    Hi - I've suffered from sleep problems since giving up alcohol. I'm currently on Zopiclone (15mg) and have been for 10 days. My sleep is a lot better now, and I am due to come off the drug completely (ie stop immediately / cold turkey from 15mg) in 4 days time.

I am neither medically trained or a doctor, but my understanding of this med is that it is predominantly used for short term treatment of sleep disorders. I think the British Pharmacopia recommend a maximum of 2 weeks use to avoid dependancy.

I have no fear of going from 15mg to 0. Its done what I asked the doc to help me with. I am now going to sleep at around 1am instead of 9am and should have my sleep the right side of midnight by the end of the course.

I'm not sure "weaning off" 3.75mg is necessary - but your docs the one who will know best. They taste disgusting anyway (when swallowed and the following day), so I coudn't imagine how bad the taste of breaking one in half would be.

Krakers.
    Krakers how did you fare coming off them after two weeks?

Are you sleeping ok without the zopiclone? Anyway withdrawals?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information