Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any advice for this particular panic-inducing situation? (working in live TV)

Any advice for this particular panic-inducing situation? (working in live TV)

I work for a TV station, and we do 2-5 shows a day. I usually run the audio board or control the onscreen graphics, which means that without me, the show couldn't go on. This tends to be a problem when I have a panic attack right before we go on air. There have been many, many times I've felt like I'd have to run out of the control room during especially bad panic, which would make the show have to go off the air (and would almost certainly get me fired).

Any advice or suggestions on what to do during these 30min-60min shows? I can't get up at any point, so I just have to sit there and deal with it. I've tried breathing slowly, but my hands still shake and it gets hard to keep a clear head. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Any advice for this particular panic-inducing situation? (working in live TV)

It might help to know why you panic...what are your particular fears? and apart from taking meds for it, which might not be beneficial with the kind of job you have, maybe you could ask to be referred to a counsellor.

cathy xxx

Re: Any advice for this particular panic-inducing situation? (working in live TV)

Maybe if you tried tris breathing trick. You inhale, hold your breath for as long as you can, then exhale in your stomach... It works for me, cos, basically, if you don't have any oxygen, you cannot panic, which is good

Try shifting your attention. If there are people around you, examine their clothes, start thinking about how much money they've paid for them, do they look nice or not... Basically, just think about anything that will take your mind off your panic. After you start thinking about trivial things (or you can also think about work, the weather, etc.) do not allow yourself to start thinking about your panic attack again. You need to learn how to distract yourself. This always works for me.

Good luck!

hi bandofgypsies!

Could you tell us about what happens to you during a panic attack? What kind of physical symptoms do you get?

I agree that benzos (Xanax, Valium, etc) might not be good with the kind of job you have, as it definitely slows your reactions and such, but I have found that being on a daily dose of an ssri (I take Celexa) has really helped me a lot. I haven't had a panic attack in three days! (knock wood).

I also have a lot of friends that are RTV guys, and a couple of them have done the exact same job. I will ask them if they ever had panic attacks while running the boards (one of my friends, who helps run a local radio station, definitely has panic attacks, so I will ask him in particular).

Hope to hear more from you,
    Always,
    Amy

I have similar problems.
    I once read a book written by a couple of psychologists who said that panic attacks sufferers have difficulties in situations where they can't get away really qucik if they experience anxiety symptoms. This is the reason why people with anxiety are not particurlarly happy about riding a bus, seeing a dentist, sitting in a movietheatre, or waiting in line.. etc.
    I know this from my own experience, sometimes I'm so anxious it's hard to even chat to a neighbour - feeling I'm kind of stuck.

Is it likely that you experience this anxiety because you can't get away from the situation? If so, a thing that has helped me, is "getting" that way out by telling people around me I'm having a hard time. Knowing that they know that I MIGHT freak out, and having planned what to do if that happends, sort of is my way out - and I don't feel stuck anymore (knowing I can run if I HAVE to).

Ofcourse this strategy requires understanding co-workers...

My advice would be to imagine an athlete about to run a race. The crowd is packed, all shouting and cheering waiting in anticipation.

The athlete is aware of the crowd all around him and it would be so easy for the pressure of what they expect to get to him. He feels sweaty and panicky. He worries he could fail and fears failing them. He begins to panic.

So how does he complete his race?

He uses tunnel vision and only sees the track in front of him on which he will be running. The crowd become a blur and he isn't even aware of his competitors. He doesn't think about his nerves. All he sees is the track in front of him.

Once he starts to race, all he focuses on is reaching the finishing line and only after the race is completed does he then allow himself to face the crowd to receive the plaudits for what he's achieved.

When we feel under pressure, the way to cope with pressure and panics is to Focus Totally on what we're doing and not allow ourselves to think about others or the feelings inside us. To use "tunnel vision".

Thanks for the quick responses, guys! This seems like a really positive board for advice from a community that knows how bad things can be during attacks.

Mikke, you're absolutely right about not being able to "get out". I've had panic attacks in movie theaters, traffic, anything like that where I can't leave easily. And obviously, I can't leave during a live broadcast and ruin the entire show.

As far as what "makes me panic", it's just the fear of panic attacks really. I'm good at my job and I know I can do it right, I'm just afraid of messing things up because I panic and run out of the control room. I've tried breathing exercises, but I always have this feeling of impending doom and dread hanging over me.

You have sort of an intricate problem, as you actually have a job where running away isn't easy without some consequences.
    A lot of people are told to restructure their cognitive prosesses by altering their "what if" thoughts.
    For example, if I have to run out of a meeting with clients, I can say to myself that it isn't the end of the world, as I have dozens of them, and one more or less are't going to ruin my business thus the tendency to feel stuck is minimized.
    In your case an escape could actually be problematic.

I have been in really important meetings, where a the outcome of running away i squite similar. In situations like that i try to remember two things...

- My anxiety doesn't really show. I can endure psychological pain (and even a lot of physical symptoms) without anyone ever noticing it.
    - The average panic attack lasts only for about 20 minutes, with ups and downs, and where the waves of extreme discomfort only lasts for a few seconds at a time, as there is a limit to how long your body will charge for fight/flight.

I've been the host of a radio talk show for the past 12 years, which means I'm on the other side of the boards. We'd make quite a pair!!!

In any case, I have never experienced any level of anxiety, nor a panic attack while working. Ever. It's always during quiet, relaxing times for me.

As long as I'm working and busy, I'm anxiety and panic free. Probably why I've been somewhat of a workaholic all these years.

Hi nev, its interesting that you mention you never get anxious or have panics whilst working but that you do when relaxing. Could it be that the adrenaline that's released to enable you to go 'on air' is what keeps you going while you're working, but that any surplus adrenaline is still bombing around inside so that you can never truly relax? just a thought. Apologies if im stating the obvious though!

Cathy xxx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information