Thread: Definitely just had some sort of mini-nervous breakdown

Definitely just had some sort of mini-nervous breakdown

A little backstory:

- I've had panic disorder since the beginning of 2003 to varying degrees.
    - Got really, really bad a couple of weeks ago
    - Have panic attacks all the time at work (I work in live TV)
    - I learned a couple of weeks ago that my grandma is dying

I was at work tonight, and all of a sudden I started feeling emotional and panicky out of nowhere. It snowballed and I got worse and worse and worse and couldn't stop thinking about it. I ended up having to leave work, and I talked to my mom on the way home and couldn't stop crying. I just want to not have to worry about panic attacks, and I want to start feeling like myself again.

I'm starting to feel a bit better right now, but I have these spells where I feel unbelievably terrible, like something absolutely awful is about to happen to me. What do I do?

Re: Definitely just had some sort of mini-nervous breakdown

Have you seen and talked to your doctor? Are you on meds? You defintely need to start there. If things get on top of you sometimes it can be harder to get out. Relaxation etc are all great methods as well but I would see my doctor first.
    Huge hugs as I know how incredibly awful and scary it can be.

I've been seeing a counselor, but I can't afford a doctor as I don't have insurance. Despite this, I was thinking of biting the bullet and starting on something.

What would be the best choice for anxiety with little to no side effects? I've heard horror stories about Paxil. Ideally, something without sexual side effects, bad combinations with alcohol, or bad withdrawal symptoms.

i have to say the best ones for me were and are propranalol.
    but im not to clued up on the meds so i dont know if thats the kind of thing your looking for.
    dizapam and chlordiazpoxide helped when i had my spell of bad panic attakcs, but then again u cant drink with them.

Everyone is different mate with medication. What works for me might make you feel a lot worse. I tried a few before I got to Citalopram and the side effects are rubbish for the first week or two even on them, for me, but now I`m getting a bit of my life back slowly but surely.

I seriously reccommend that you see a doctor or even a nurse at a clinic maybe, I don't know what is available in teh US for people with no health insurance. We have the NHS here like so I don't know.

You can't just get meds and take them though, you could mess yourself up with the wrong doses. Nobody wants that. Just try to stay away from Zoloft. The side effects for most people I've spoken to, even my doctor said this, are by far the worst and people get crazy thoughts they would never have otherwise. That can happen on most of them though, but the shakes are bad from Zoloft and the general feeling of being really, really unwell.

Hoipe I didn't ramble too much mate.

This post has been automatically edited by the NMP post filter

i dont think anyone on nmp is qualified to recommend meds without knowing ur personnal circumstances.

u do need the advice of a gp.

meds are dangerous to mess around with.

the side effects differ from med to med, and from person to person.

no one can predict what will happen to what degree.

however, after the meds settle u will gain relief when the correct med and dose is found. it just takes time and patience.

remember too that meds are not a long term answer for most ppl. u need to tackle the behaviours and stressors causing the anx thru therapy.

take care

milly xxxxx

What state are you in, bandofgypsies? there are alot of goverment programs for mental health issues for folks without insurance.

pretty much all meds have side effects, interactions, etc. and they all effect people slightly differently, so you need to speak with a doctor about what would work best for your particular situation.

Just Generally:

All SSRI's cause some sexual side effects of varied severity.

Some Drugs like Welbutrin, Remeron, Effexor have fewer.

Drinking alcohol on pretty much any anti-depressant is bad news. Plus it can cause more anxiety.

Drinking on a benzo like xanax or ativan can cause coma, or death... ala marilyn monroe.

im taking Zoloft right now, I just started monday and pretty much havent slept since then. I have dry mouth to, but otherwise feel fine.

I took Remeron for about 6 weeks and it worked well for me, but I was gaining weight like crazy and had to stop.

Celexa caused panic attacks for me

ditto with Welbutrin.

I also take xanax and ativan as needed, but they both wipe me out and its impossible to function daily with those for me.

just my experiences, but again, everyone is different.

Thread Information