Thread: Anyone tried Buspar

Anyone tried Buspar

I was just wondering whether anyone had any experience of the drug Buspar. My dr has just prescribed me it for anxiety and I'm worried about taking it. Mainly because I've had really bad reactions to some of the other drugs I've taken, namely SSRIs

Can anyone tell me how long they take to work, I'm starting off on a low dose of 5mg twice a day and that will be increased if I need it.

Thanks

Julie

Hi Julie

The only info I have is from my website page :

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/Buspirone.htm

Sorry not to be of any more help

Nicola

Cool Re: Anyone tried Buspar

I take Buspar, & have for several years. I believe that it helps, though the onset is pretty "gentle," & does NOT "knock you out," or make you feel impaired in any way. I take 15mg twice a day. I have also begun taking Valium 5mg, 1 or 2 a day IF I need them (I usually do take at least 1/2 every day.) The Valium is much more of a fast relief, in a severe stress situation. Lately, however, I have had problems with pharmacists questioning the fact that I take both, & ask if my doctor is aware that I take both (she most assuredly IS; we go over ALL my meds at EVERY visit. One pharmacist, just today, tried to say that she would have to put the prescription in her safe, & check with her supervisor "tomorrow." My husband had taken the written script in to get it for me, & he told her no, that he would not leave the store without either the medicine itself OR the written prescription. She actually tried to refuse, until he told her that he would be calling the police, since she had no right to keep MY prescription! I have taken these for at least 6 months, with not even one HINT of a problem. From Danne

Re: Anyone tried Buspar

I tried it a few years back but unfortunately it didn't do anything for me, but, remember, we're all so different so what works for some may not work for others, I'd give it a try and see how you get on with it hun

I have taken Buspar and is generally used as a short term drug for GAD. The only side effect I had was rapid weight gain, and unfortunately it didn't work for me.

Hi im also very interested in buspar as im in the situation of researching meds for my anxiety and panic attacks. Im very interested in people taking buspar alone and not as an augment to an ssri. (No judgement there but if its only used to augment it would make more sense for me to look into ssri's first)

Also Nicola your link gets me a 404...

If it helps I took Buspar instead of SSRI, it was never suggested to me to take them together.

Yeah that helps. So it didnt really do anything? If you dont mind me asking did they try increasing the dose? The few succes stories ive read all involve an increae in dose to about 30mg a day...

Thread Information