Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: New puppy and Anxiety???

New puppy and Anxiety???

I know this will sound pathetic, but we just adopted the most adorable puppy four days ago and my anxiety is sky high??? I definitely wasn't expecting this and it is really bothering me. Actually had a small panic attack one night. There has been a lot going on in our family the last few months, so maybe it is just "another change" and this will pass? The puppy is only 12 weeks old so of course lots of work "potty training" her etc... She really is a lovely little thing though, so I'm sure this is just temporary, but the anxiety has been bad enough that I can barely eat or sleep.... I think I just need some encouraging words? And I'm not one to normally ask... I guess this all just took me by surprise. I know she will be worth all this though!!! She really is lovely!!!

Re: New puppy and Anxiety???

Hi there and how great that you have a new member of the family, and thats prob why your anx is at a higher level, coz its changed the family dynamics, in much the same way as bringing a new baby home! Puppies like babies are hard work and you're also feeling the responsibility too, but like you said...its worth it....bless.

Hold on in there hun, its not uncommen for anx to go higher when something changes that can bring some added extra work or a little added stress
    Puppys can be a little tiersome and stressfull when you first get one but we normaly fall into the routine quickly.
    Sending you my best wishes and some hugs to make you feel better

Everything will settle down and you will realy enjoy having her around.

take care

kellie.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

is it the stress of looking after a new puppy or fear something might happen to it?
    when i got my new kitten i was so afraid she would die! i was always worried about her,

Hiya
    I was in the same boat as you 3 years ago, my puppy was 8 weeks old and id never had one before, but for a short time it was hard work with the training, but now i couldnt be without him he has helped me and my anx in so many ways even just a cuddle from them is the best feeling when your not feeling to good, hang in there it will be worth it
    POLLY

Thanks for the encouraging words... the anxiety is starting to settle down and all these responses really helped. It's amazing how a few words from people can help!!!

hi snow and SNAP!!!! I cold of written that post myself, we too have had a beautiful cocker spaniel puppy last week and i feel exactly the same. the stupid thing is that it was me that wanted it. i wondered if it was just a coincidence that my anx has gone sky high. i actually had a full blown panic attack today that really scared me. glad someone else has felt the same but still cant understand why??

ju

having a puppy can be hard work for tghe first couple of months. its the responsibility of having a new life to be responsible for.

but pls hold in there and u will have the most wonderful stress buster going for the next 10 years.

ive got 2 wonderful labs, 1 year and 2 years, quite a handful, but love them to bits

take care

milly xx

Hi..

I got a puppy back in January, she's a teeny Lhasa Apso, but my goodness, the first weeks were hell. It was worse than potty training my son. I would stand outide in the freezing cold for HOURS, for most of the day/night to try and get her to pee and poop. I can't say it made me anxious, but i definitely felt stressed, really stressed, epesically when i had stood outside for 2 hours and she then came right in the house and pee on the carpet.

I am pleased to say, this was TEMPORARY. She is now the most gorgeous wee pup and i would be lost without her.

Panic attacks started in 1992. 1998 i became agoraphobic which lead into being room bound. Couldn't even get upstairs. 2002 i started getting better, able to drive and work. 2005 i became house bound again. 2009 i have been making SLOW progress, still not able to go anywhere alone, but my journeys are getting longer. No where near 'normal' but at least i can go out.

Oh hugs - I was exactly like this when we got a new cat. It was kitten ( we were aiming for a more mature cat but fell in love with a kitten). I was an anxious mess for about a fortnight until I got into the routine and used to the kitten etc...

The first morning of the new kitten - I sat down and thought " I can not do this." We'd had a cat before so I knew the score.

So as the others say - it does ease. It is hard work at first but you'll wonder what the problem was in a few more weeks!! Bet she's adorable.

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information