Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: New puppy and Anxiety???

Re: New puppy and Anxiety???

Hang in there, you have a change of routine and that's stressful in its self, think how the little fella must be feeling away from his family and give him loads of cuddles and love. Dogs are great anxiety busters apart from vet bills so feed them the best food you can afford, walk them regularly, and worm them etc.

Wish i had seen these posts five and a half years ago when i first got my pup..I had waited many years for the time to be right to have my dog and was really looking forward to getting her..I was so unprepared for the overwhelming sense of responsibilty and consequently the anxiety that came with it...I felt that i could not tell anyone how it was affecting me as they would think that i was being weak and pathetic and would never understand...Instead of feeling like i should be enjoying the fact that i had eventually got a dog, for sev weeks/mnths it was like " omg what have i done" and how will i cope...Anyway five and half yrs on i have to say that i cant imagine my life without her, and the unconditional love,companionship and fun she gives me is immense...And in many cases animals or so much nicer that people..

Hello everyone!
    Thank god I found this forum, because I already thought I am the worse person alive!! Well, there is still chance for me to be that . I did it for the second time now... We have a brand new puppy (since yesterday) and I am horrified (again)... You've guessed it, I tried it once before and after four days I gave it avay, and now it's hapening again. But this time I am determined to insist. I thought that this time I was more ready for it, that I gave it enough thought... But no, it feels just like the first time I am panicing over the rooftop again... I started to ask myself what is wrong with me that I just don't give up and stop making the same mistake over and over again and that the dog is obviously not for me, but no. Don't get me wrong, I love dogs and I always wanted to get it but now that I got it it scares me to death! I don't know what to do and I don't know how to deal with this. Please, some advice will do me good.

It will take time to adjust but it is well worth it. In a few weeks time you will love the little dog so much as she will be part of the family. Our Bonnie we have had now for about 6 months and she is marvellous and so loving. None of us would swap her for anything.

I really understand the anxiety associated with a new pup. I had forgotten how much hard work is involved raising a young dog.The night time trips when she wanted to go out, the basic training and being chased everywhere as soon as I picked up a mop or duster
    Then one day, at about 16 weeks old I was really tired and edgy and she snuggled up to me, licking my hand and looked at me with those big brown eyes and we just bonded .Now 4 years old, shes my best friend..loyal, loving and so glad we bought her into our home.

Red face Re: New puppy and Anxiety???

So glad I found you all on here!! I thought I was going crazy - we have one lovely dog and I have been desperate to get a 2nd. Well finally did and got a puppy just a few days ago. First day was fine and then 2nd day the panic hit me full force. A complete feeling of fear - that something terrible was going to happen. How can I look after this new life? I don't feel safe to do so...waking with him at night is the worst. Just like bringing a new baby home. I feel so terrible as I didn't expect this at all. Now, after finding you all on this forum,I feel better. I will just have to wait for the panic and feelings of fear to gradually go away. Your help is so appreciated.

Hi Topazstar,

I know this is an old thread but I saw your post and had to reply. I was in exactly your position a month ago and I went through hell. My 8 week old puppy turned my life upside down and I really didn't think I could cope. I'm a real routine person and everything suddenly changed. It was awful.

1 month later and calmness has resumed. I worked out a new routine which incorporated my pup and, despite his demonic episodes (he's having one as I type), he's so lovely and I wouldn't be without him for the world. Believe me, if I can do it, anyone can. The real turning point is when you can take him/her out for walks. That really helps. Also, some very supportive friends on here saw me through it and told me it would work out fine - they were right!

Good luck and let us know how you're doing.

Pip x

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Thank you so much Pip - it really helps to know that you had a similar thing. The sleepless nights are the worst.....I really don't want to re-home him as I am sure I will regret it and he is so attached to me.
    I am at home with him all day by myself (I work from home) so he has tended to bond himself exclusively to me, which is lovely but it feels like a huge pressure at the moment (which I know is not a true feeling).....I'm going to ask friends to help and family to get more involved with him - I am sure sharing the load will help. The panic attacks are horrible - I felt paralysed with fear this morning for no good reason. Just wish I had not reacted this way.

i have been married for just a few years and these have been the happiest years of my life. My Husband & I have a great relationship and are a great team. I have no idea what made me start looking at puppies online. I've always known I didn't want the responsibility of walking one first thing in the morning or at night. Or feeling guilty for leaving it alone when I went out. Well, we just got a puppy. He couldn't be sweeter, smarter or more adorable. My Husband loves him. I am so glad I found this forum and others like it. I've always had anxiety & not handled change well. I am racked with anxiety now. I can just keep crying. I feel like I've ruined the great thing my Husband and I have because I've added a third party. Every time I think about it my body fills with anxiety. I can't eat and I wake up with anxiety. It really, really helps to hear that these feelings are a natural part of anxiety disorder and that they'll pass. You know I would give it back tonight if I could. Thanks for any help.

It's normal to feel anxiety at having to care for a dependant new 'person' in your life, it's shows that you're a thoughtful and caring person. We got a puppy 2 weeks into an anxiety episode earlier this year, I can't pretend it was easy and yes, it did cause me some sleepless nights with the responsibility of it all. BUT, it gets so much easier as they grow, I now wouldn't be without her even though I did have times of thinking I'd done the wrong thing and would have to take her back.
    Dogs are great, they get you outside and exercising, you always have someone to listen to your thoughts (without answering back - bonus!), they give unconditional love and cuddles.
    Give it time, as I said it is natural to feel anxious at this upheavel in your life. As you said your husband and you are a team, you share the responsibility of the puppy and I'm sure you will grow to love him too and the three of you will have some great times together.

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information