Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CHRISTMAS - and how to survive it? Help

charlie,

easy peasy..you can train as an ambulance technician.

all the guys love a girl in uniform! lol...bryan.

Well I am mechanically minded. And I have rebuilt an engine before, albeit a horizontal one (air cooled beetle of course).

Not sure about the uniform though - I never pulled in my light blue A line zip up the front Nylon Little Chef get up when we used to go straight to the pub from work

Meg - lucky you - it almost makes me wish I could travel a bit further afield! Hope you are going to get some ski-ing or something in as well though - not just cook and clean for others!

Charlie

charlie,

an ambulance technician isnt a mechanic lol

how come you can have me rolling over laughing,every time you post,you truly have a gift,you should be a comedy writer..in fact you can take an online course...then next xmas you can say,SORRY FOLKS,SPENDING XMAS WITH MY PUBLICIST...bryan.

If Christmas is at yours this year then everyone plays by your rules, simple. Ex dentist can use a microwave cant he?[}]

Emily

emily,that is soo true,

when i was happily married,we had a great evening meal,every night..my wife was,and is a great cook,but we had three daughters,and it wasnt fair to the girls to wait for dad to come home,just so they could eat.

so my wife would make dinner in the afternoon,and as we all came home,she would pop it in the microwave.

sooo,as far as ime concerned,if he as a guest ,was rude enough to be late,then you should have had your dinner,and put his majestys in the microwave,once he arrived...majority over minority...bryan.

Fraid not - the ex-dentist can't even take the top off a bottle of bleach.

I am being truly serious here. My mum finds it funny, but I think it's pathetic a grown man of 60+ can't understand a child proof cap. It's not like he's got arthiritis or anything and can't grip.

If nobody cooks for him, he lives of beer, whisky, pork pie, bread and cheese. Infact anything that comes in a packet and doesn't involve cooking. Or any form of preparation whatsoever.

But you are right. I have spoken to my sister, and we are sticking by our guns. 1.30. Be there or get a cold and congealed plate of leftovers.

Charlie

Charlie - I have only just read this post cos I am 2 days behind so far (gulp). It really made me laugh. You have such a great talent for telling a story and making us all feel as though we were there watching it! I loved the bit about watching the videos - nice touch!

As for the practicalities of it all - then get ready-prepared veg - that will save some time. Potatoes are easy to cook. Tell everyone that you want them at whatever time suits you and if they can't make it then just say "ok - no to worry then".

My mum cooks a superb Xmas spread so we are going there again and she swears that a couple of glasses of wine help her cook it much better so treat yourself Charlie - just not the whole bottle.

It is your Xmas too so try to enjoy it the best you can and don't get too stressed will you?

Charlie - can't you tell the ex-dentist that you have a phobia of them now so you can't possibly have him for dinner!

xxxx

Bryan - my mum would have accomodated you at Xmas - she hates seeing people alone and when we were kids she would end up taking everyone back for dinner (from the pub) as she couldn't stand knowing that they were alone. She is an excellent cook as well :-)

xxx

Radar - that sounds like hard work to me

Nicola

Nicola - glad you enjoyed it, but sadly it really is all true!!!

Am going to do that - lunch is at 1.30 - be there or starve. Already planning three potatoe dishes!! Apart from anything else, there is my sister to think of. If we eat later, she will have to rush off to her sister in laws, and the house will be in a right state, cos we won't have had time to clean up properly. And who wants to return at midnight to a house stinking of brussells and covered in a thin layer of turkey grease.

The dental phobia is a complicated one. The ex dentist was our family dentist till he retired. My sister calls him the ex alleged dentist, and it's interesting to note that none of his family have ever been treated by him. Although to be fair, he was always very gentle and patient with us. Having said that I have several fillings in my mouth that could be made from absolutely anything, and have caused great consternation with my new dentist!

He didn't "get" with my mum until after he retired.

So not sure if the dental phobia started because of amalgams potentially made from dodgy materials have made me mad, I now have to see a new dentist, or seeing the size of the gusset on the ex-dentists pyjamas (whilst doing the ironing I hasten to add). The gusset is so big it has an oval shaped piece of fabric sewn in to make it bigger. I have looked at all my trousers and I don't have any "extra" bits, so it must be a special thing for very overweight people.

I forgot to mention this when I posted my dentist post. I was scaffolded up, and imagining ironing the ex-dentists grundies! Sometimes I think I'd be better off not thinking!

Charlie

Charlie

Please to hear that you are going to do that and tell them when you want dinner - good on you.

I have even funnier images now of you at the dentist - that story will haunt you in the message forum forever more - lol.

Nicola

quote:I have to say if i was pleasing myself at xmas, i would stay in bed eating cornflakes watching all the cool tv programmes. Thats my idea of a good xmas. Always wanted to do that but never have yet...feel too guilty.
    Hear, hear! That was how I spent this past Thanksgiving, not cooking for the first time in 8 years. It was heaven. Of course, it would have been better if I hadn't had the flu! (Yes, that's what it took to get me out of cooking dinner for 12 people.) I truly believe it was psychosomatic.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information