Hello

I have been presribed Escitalopram by my GP for anxiety and I have been carrying the prescription around with me for 3 weeks wondering whether or not to go on it.

I've got all these questions going around my head - if anyone can help I would really appreciate it.

I used to be on Citalopram for a year - it really helped my anxiety but made me put on loads of weight - it has taken me a year to lose this weight after coming off. My GP said the side effects of Escitalopram are different though - so I am really hoping it won't make me put on weight. Has anyone found that they haven't put on weight? If they have then can you control the weight gain with diet / exercise?

My GP has prescribed 10mg to start off with. I have seen that other people started off with 5mg - do you think 10mg is too high to start off on? Has anyone else started off on this amount?

Also the long term effectiveness... My GP said that I should be on Escitalopram for a minimum of 2 years for it to really have a lasting effect. What do other people feel about this? Do you think you need to be on it for this long?

Thanks so much for reading, any advice welcome.