Thread: Fear of choking - had problems swallowing, and dreading eating in public!

Fear of choking - had problems swallowing, and dreading eating in public!

Hello everyone. Since about 2005, I've developed a phobia of choking, that comes and goes, and returns if for example accidentally cough on a bit of food, or catch something at the back of my throat. I thankfully finally know the anxiety and fear of choking results in not being able to swallow.

Main issue is that tomorrow I'm going on holiday for a week (sorry for the time limit on replies), and along with my Mum, who gets very embarrassed with this phobia, we'll be eating with other holiday makers.

My mum gets really frustrated when I end up spitting my food out (hiding it from view however), but only because I feel there's too much in my mouth to swallow, and I get very upset as I worry that I'll end up doing this around other people. I end up taking ages to eat a meal, and I don't want to be left behind whilst everyone's on the last course.

My throat's been alot better today when it comes to swallowing, but I don't want the problem to return and get worse over the holiday. So, anyone else who suffers from this fear of choking and/or has problems swallowing due to anxiety, can you offer any advice?

Perhaps on what sort of things to eat for meals, as I struggle with chewy/thick foods and I worry I won't be able to eat much;

how to calm myself down when I feel I can't swallow;

or anything else you think would help?

Thank you! - Violet
    (PS. The problem with swallowing is definately due to anxiety, as my doctor said in the past, and not a swallowing disorder as far as I know.)

Re: Fear of choking - had problems swallowing, and dreading eating in public!

Hi - I have probs eating out in public - I find if I sip water and slowly nibble tiny forkfuls of food it helps. Also - try not to get overwhelmed by the amount of food on your plate - I used to panic that I couldnt eat it all and that everyone woudl stare at me but they dont - to be honest - they dont give a s**t what you eat or dont eat - just enjoy listening to people talking and act interested in conversations round the table even ifyour not - befor eyou know it you will have eaten half the food and be saying "that was lovely - Im full up !!"

I hate eating out to this day but I do it and I bluff my way thorugh the meal by smiling and nibbling food and sipping water!!

You will be fine - I know you will.

Good luck
    Love Wenjoy x

I totally have this, too. I opt for soft foods, like soups, pastas and nothng that I find difficult (personally, steak and mashed potatoes!). I have a glass or two of wine, and I have also explained to everyone that I have trouble swallowing and am a very slow eater. If I choke, I just choke, puit a napkin over my mouth, turn away from the table and apologise afterwards. What's the worst that is going to happen? Somone thinks 'oh, she's swallowed something the wrong way'. or, 'oh, a fellow choker!'. Hope you have a good holiday, although you are probably there now!

I used to have no problems eatting out in public, I gobbled down my food without a worry or a thought in the world. Somewhere in the last few years I developed the fear to eat in front of people.. My mouth gets dry and I get nervous and feel like I can't chew and swallow the food without choking or gagging.. I've tried anti-anxiety medications, etc, however they really don't help and I decided to stop using them... I really need to get over this fear, because I'm beginning to close myself off to the world because of it.

I'm asked to go out and do something (that doesn't even involve eatting out), but I am afraid to go because I think "What if they do want to go get food? I can't just order water or a drink again they'll start to wonder".. I really need to find a way to get over this...

hi, i have the same problem. ive had this problem for a couple of years and it has affected me quite a bit. when i choked on food i used to regerate it and then i would be put off the rest of my meal. now though i always eat with a drink so if i do get it i would take a sip and it would help it down. try to avoid foods that you usually choke on like with me its chips. i personally dont care if other people eat faster then me . im gradually trying to swallow more amounts each time i eat. if i choke i just take a sip of water. this is quite slow but its working
    rob :]

Hi,

I also suffer from this. I have agoraphobia which means I don't feel comfortable in situations where I feel trapped or where I feel people might see me have a panic attack. The problem is that when I'm anxious my mouth feels dry and it's hard to swallow (another typical anxiety symptom... sigh) so obviously it's difficult to eat when I feel like that. To be honest I've avoided eating in public for more than 2 years but I did manage to have a cup of tea and a biscuit in the ASDA cafe on Friday which was a huge achievement for me (pathetic I know). I think you just have to take baby steps and try to do as much as you can manage to build up your confidence. Ordering something light and sipping water seems to be the best way to manage. Also, there's nothing wrong with admitting to friends in social situations that you suffer from anxiety and that you find it hard to eat in public... if they are friends then surely they won't judge you. Failing that, you could just say that you feel a bit under the weather so you'll just eat what you can.

Sorry I couldn't offer much advice - just wanted to let you know you're not alone.

Love and hugs from shoegal x

I've suffered for anxirty and panic attacks for about a year or so now. The first 6 months i had no problem what so ever eating out, then one day in the ASDA cafe (i was starving and got my boyfriend to order me a load of food!) we sat down and it just hit me, i couldn't eat a bite, and was practically squirming in my seat wanting to get away! I havn't dared eat out again after that. If we are out somewhere and he's hungry i'll suggest mcdonalds, i could eat that fine in the car, then i stopped being able to do that too! grr

Hi, I sometimes get in a tangle when I'm eating too - my throat just WILL NOT cooperate! It feels like my throat/neck/half of my tongue is paralysed.

I've found that distraction helps - rub my leg, fidget/squirm like a child, tap my foot, generally move/jerk my body. Hmmm, would probably look like less of a freak if I just spat the food out...

The best one seems to be pressing my finger into the groove above my top lip (forget what it's called?), almost covering my mouth sometimes with the rest of my hand.

No, really. I am freak

Yeah, I've noticed that these things happen gradually. I used to wolf down my sandwishes on the bus or (shock!) in a crowded classroom but now I wouldn't dare. I also squirm like that in practically every public situation eating or not. Restlessness is a sign of depression they say. Stay strong!

Thread Information