Thread: Loss of control - Shouting in a public place

Loss of control - Shouting in a public place

Hi I'm new here and I desperatly need to get something off my chest.

Since the age of 11 I've had a big fear of public places that are either quiet, have one point of focus (e.g a classroom with a teacher having everyone's attention...I hope that makes sense) or places where I can;t get out of without people noticing (And of course I think people are going to think badly of me for it) My symptoms have included feeling sick, stomach aches, feeling I can't stop moving and feeling I really need the loo.

In the last year I've got more and more control over this and I'm enjoying having my life back, but in the last few months I've suddenly had this fear of suddenly shouting out in a public place. For example, I've been watching a few plays recently and I've had a sudden fear I would loose control and find myself shouting out at worse I'd start swearing, or totally interupt a performance. Now I understand I am at my calmest when I'm right by an exit and I wasn't that time (I was on the aisle but now near a door)

I find myself biting down on my tongue or holding down my lips but I don;t really want this behaviour to stick as I don;t think its helping me. I was able to calm myself down and ended up having another sypmtom rear its ugly head but I didn;t mind beacuse I felt more in control of it.

But i'd really like it if anyone had any advice to stop these thoughts now as there terrifying me and I'm pretty p***ed off as I've worked so hard to have control over my panic attacks. I want to be able to go back to college in 3 weeks time with more confidence then find myslef back at the same spot I was last year.

I hope this all makes sense and sorry if it doesn;t It's been written with a lot of adrenalin in my viens and I'm pretty upset about it

Thank you

Re: Loss of control - Shouting in a public place

I suffer from OCD and this is a symptom of it and if this will make you feel any better most people even he ones who dont have anxiety or anything else have felt the same urge to scream out in a quiet place. I had that feeling for a long time and asked my husband who is the most sane person I know what he thought and he told me that he has even thought about doing it just for the shock value. Its a normal reaction alot of people have. I do alot of things for shock value just to shake people up. Take it lightly.

Ah now this makes sense. So I suppose what your saying is its a very normal reaction, maybe its just my anxiety that's making me think its a bad thing and the over thinking brings on a panic attack.

This is very reassuring. I thought I was going mad!

Thank you very much, Ihopefully this will help me calm down a bit

Do you think it might be a slight case of mild Tourette's?

I know often when I'm walking along a busy street or shopping mall, and a crowd of people in front of me are dawdling along blocking my way, I want to shout at them to GET THE F*** OUT OF MY WAY!!!!!

"I've been watching a few plays recently and I've had a sudden fear I would loose control and find myself shouting out at worse I'd start swearing, or totally interupt a performance."

Aaaah... you mean shout out "WHAT A LOAD OF RUBBISH - GET OFF!!" Well, if it was a rubbish play, then your reaction is quite normal. lol

The opinions stated above are the personal opinions of the writer, and not intended to offend or denigrate any opinions held by anyone else.

I think it's kinda funny, I think it's kinda sad,
    The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had.

Thread Information