Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The problem with prop

The problem with prop

The proplem with prop is that have become dependant on it personally use it for anxiety and adrenaline control but although can become sedated on it, its very good for panic as well.
    Take about 30 mg a day which guess isnt a lot but it when dont use it , it feels awful it feels like am on egg shells all day and anxiety is bad.
    Try other things like ginseng extract and natural stuff but it just isnt as good.
    It slows down the heart but what is the risks of taking it

Re: The problem with prop

Propranolol is very safe, especially the minute dosages we take for anxiety.

The heart rate is dependent on its own internal rhythm. This keeps it going and going until you die. However, the body can release catecholamines, which are chemicals and includes adrenaline. This is when the body wants more oxygen to circulate (ie, more blood) and this is released when you have a panic attack. This acts to speed up the heart via Beta 2 adrenoreceptors.

Propranolol basically harmlessly sits in the binding site for adrenaline (the B2 adrenoreceptors) and "blocks" it from getting in, to speed up the heart. Hence the name beta blocker. The heart will still continue to beat with its own steady rhythm regardless of the beta blocker (It just won't speed up because too much adrenaline can't bind). I read about an overdose where someone took 100 propranolol and they survived.

It doesn't damage the heart in any way to do this, it just stops excess adrenaline from causing too much stress on the heart. People who have had a heart attack and take Propranolol survive longer, so don't worry too much about taking 40mg and below!!

Try to take it regularly if you feel fluttery without.

I'm SO glad I read this! It really has helped - I have been worrying about the effect Propranolol would have on my heart as I always assumed it worked directly on the heart itself and if I took too much it would make it stop!!!

DUH!

Thanks!!

Thanks intense...

I take propranalol and it's reassuring to know that the 40mg I took today is not overly dangerous. Without it, my anxiety is so great that I just cannot function in a stable manner.

Best wishes

I'm taking 40mg 3 times daily ... is this too much?? It's what my doctor prescribed so I assume it is

Hi there Ive taken 20mg three times a day before and was fine at the moment my doc has me on the 80mg slow release caspusles which I have only recently started so am waiting to see how they work

Quote Originally Posted by owainm View Post
    Hi there Ive taken 20mg three times a day before and was fine at the moment my doc has me on the 80mg slow release caspusles which I have only recently started so am waiting to see how they work
    i to have just started taking 80mg, slow release, let me no, how u get on xx

I went on propranalol a yr ago and felt zombified. Was like id slowed down and didnt feel real.

Hey, i've been suffering with 'panic attacts' for about 3 years now and been on and off Pro for 3 years i take 80mg one a day. They are so good for making my heart slow down when i'm having a panic. I also try and exercise at least 3 times a week and walk whenever i can. I don't know if they are making me depressed or if it is the panic's just getting me down but i feel no real side effect.

im on propranolol 40mg 3 times a day... my question is, is exercise safe since its slowing the heart down how does this work for exercise ??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information