Thread: Does anyone have a fear of glass?

Smile Does anyone have a fear of glass?

Hi Spanna here,

I have suffered on and off for a few years with the fear of glass. My phobia is triggered off by life events or great anxiety. When I first realised I had it I thought to myself that I was mad! How can you be fearful of glass, it is all around me? But then I realised that my fear that developed could have been of anything, it just so happened that I picked on this one, which happened to be everywhere (typical me to do this!!).

I have had treatment recently as an out patient for CBT, which has helped improve me, I realise now that I have to challenge everything that I am avoiding, like I am doing an experiment to prove my hypothesis is wrong. There are worst days than others, but I get through the days, I still think how stupid I am thinking these things, and wish I could ripp that part of the brain out that is doing this to me, but when I do challenge my thoughts it makes me feel a bit better, and I realise I am still alive nothing has hurt me, only my thoughts are hurting me.

It is with me eveyday, I do work, which is my saviour as I can shut off my thoughts here. I often think why have I got it, but I have, days are anxious but they are easing.

Thanks for reading my message, just had to get it off my chest, I am finishing CBT with my pyschologist in two sessions, feel scared as I have no link with talking to anyone about my OCD and phobia, now I have found this website, i am so pleased I can talk to fellow sufferers who understand, and don't see me as 'mad'. Is there anyone out there who suffers with the same phobia, as I here it is quite rare, would love to hear how you cope?

Kind Regards
    Spanna xx

Re: Does anyone have a fear of glass?

Hi Spanna

I wouldn't say I had a fear of glass, but I do have a very healthy respect for it. Some years ago I fell over and my arm went through a glass window resulting in 36 stitches in my arm. I must admit before the accident I had no problem cutting glass, but now I have to be wearing leather gloves before I can cut it.

Tom

Thread Information