Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How many of us have high BP?

Re: How many of us have high BP?

In answer to your question about the meds Alison, i was on propranolol to start (80mg slow release) but now on bisoprolol at 5mg which is more or less the same as 80mg prop'. I only take half every day 2.5 because i really dont like the side effects on the full dose, though my bp is a little higher on only half a pill so the doc tends to pull his face a bit.

Was given betablockers because i had bad migraines too and they treat both, but in hindsight perhaps they should have given me meds to target only the bp such as ace inhibitors, and a seperate med for the migraine which i only get occasionally, but then i dont know what side effects if any, there are with ace inhibitors....so its a bit of a minefield! xxxxx

My blood pressure has been sky high in the past...................the worst was 200/115!! I wouldn't take any meds at first because I was frightened of them, and any side effects. However, the BP got constantly higher and then I got worried. As my Doc explained high BP won't kill you now, it's the damage done that will have an effect in later years.

I decided to take the chance and went on Atenolol (Betablocker) and Lisinipril (ACE). So far I have been really lucky. The worst I have felt is a little bit distant initially, a bit fuzzy. This does only seem to last a couple of hours or so. I can still function properly, but I do things at a slightly slower pace.

My BP is now within the normal range, my heart rate now averages around 60 beats per minute, and I do feel so much better. In fact sometimes I get worried because I feel fine!!!

I hope this helps, don't be frightened of meds, people just need to find the right one to suit their circumstances.

Pansy

It seems high bp can be inherited as my friends mother had high blood pressure diagnosed at 18 yrs old! and was on meds all her life and she didn't die of any blood pressure related illness either and even on meds her bp was high, her daughter my friend is now 50 and her blood pressure was picked up as high in her 40's ( she avoids Drs so probably had it a long time) and is on meds and now her young slim fit and healthy daughter (27 yrs old) has blood pressure so high that she has had to go on strong meds. my friends son who is a weight lifting builder so super fit also has slightly high blood pressure and he is only 23yrs old.

Ww,thanks so much for everyone sharing. Anyone else?

I've never suffered from high blood pressure typically scoring 140's /70's but I have been taking a beta blocker for two years firstly following angina, now a higher dosage to prevent panic attacks.
    Regards
    John

Mine is high!

Mine has been a little high at times, but tends to be around 135/80 or so. Both of my parents had high bp, so I figure it's probably only a matter of time, but that's the least of my worries right now.

I'm what is called a "hot responder".

My blood pressure is wonderful for my age (52 yo), but it quickly shoots sky high when I get "worked up". And, as a hot responder, it doesn't take much to get me worked up.

I'm a quiet person who usually keeps everything inside, without saying anything or showing any sign of being upset outwardly. I was POLISHED and TRAINED this way by a professional finishing service many years ago. I'm very good at it (staying calm and collected), but I think it has destroyed me on the inside.

I don't care what they say to the contrary about not being able to "feel" blood pressure, I KNOW that I can feel mine going up. I've even gotten very good at predicting what it is going to be as a reading.

With a rather severe panic attack recently (3 weeks ago tonight), my blood pressure was measured at 214/116 at the hospital. The next morning, it was 110/68.

They've put me on meds (linsinopril), taken me off meds, put me back on meds, and taken me back off meds again (I'm not joking).

I'm currently supposed to be off, but this time I stayed on -- just in case. I can't afford another 214/116 blood pressure reading. That's in the stroke zone.

Wow never2late that mustve been scary! After I had my tw kids both times my BP shot up to 210/110 or something. I was put on mag rght away but they had a really hard time getting it normal. I was in the hospital 12 days before it went to a level where I could go home, with 4 different medications!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information