Thread: Propranalol and alcohol

Propranalol and alcohol

Is it safe to drink alcohol while on Propranalol?

Re: Propranalol and alcohol

Quote Originally Posted by noonoo View Post
    Is it safe to drink alcohol while on Propranalol?
    I'd like to know this too as I always have a glass of wine at night to help me sleep and I feel if I stopped doing that it would worry me that I wouldn't sleep and, god, I don't need anymore worry

Hi, i've taken propanalol varying times in my life over the last 5 years and i asked the cardiologist in 2006 if i could keep my daily glass of red wine, he baisically said i could drink he said a couple of glasses of wine would do no harm especially as i was taking it of anxiety and palps as apposed to something 'wrong' with my heart if that makes sense!! You'll be fine with one or two!!
    Also when i first started taking it when i was 19 and i did push it (typical teenager!) with the alcohol whilst taking propanalol (was only given it as i had an overactive thyroid) and i was fine, though i did find that it made you much drunker faster which in naiviety at the time i probably thought it was a bonus in my pre anxiety days *very big slap on wrists* lol

xx

Quote Originally Posted by Lexi View Post
    Hi, i've taken propanalol varying times in my life over the last 5 years and i asked the cardiologist in 2006 if i could keep my daily glass of red wine, he baisically said i could drink he said a couple of glasses of wine would do no harm especially as i was taking it of anxiety and palps as apposed to something 'wrong' with my heart if that makes sense!! You'll be fine with one or two!!
    Also when i first started taking it when i was 19 and i did push it (typical teenager!) with the alcohol whilst taking propanalol (was only given it as i had an overactive thyroid) and i was fine, though i did find that it made you much drunker faster which in naiviety at the time i probably thought it was a bonus in my pre anxiety days *very big slap on wrists* lol

xx
    Thank you .. just what I needed to hear and I can just imagine how wonderful you thought it was to get drunker quicker

I have binge-drinked with propranolol numerous times, and nothing ever happened. I don't drink now because it makes anxiety worse for me.

Alcohol reduces the effect of the Beta Blocker according to an NHS Direct website:

Can I drink alcohol while I am taking a beta-blocker ?
    Alcohol may slightly reduce the effect of your beta-blocker, but this is unlikely to be a problem.

Are there any foods or drinks that I should avoid ?
    You should have no problems with any food or drink other than alcohol (see above).

http://www.nmhct.nhs.uk/Pharmacy/anx2.htm

Quote Originally Posted by intense View Post
    I have binge-drinked with propranolol numerous times, and nothing ever happened. I don't drink now because it makes anxiety worse for me.

Alcohol reduces the effect of the Beta Blocker according to an NHS Direct website:

Can I drink alcohol while I am taking a beta-blocker ?
    Alcohol may slightly reduce the effect of your beta-blocker, but this is unlikely to be a problem.

Are there any foods or drinks that I should avoid ?
    You should have no problems with any food or drink other than alcohol (see above).

http://www.nmhct.nhs.uk/Pharmacy/anx2.htm
    Thanks for that .. could be why I feel mine aren't working so well in the monring after a glass of white late in the evening

I also asked my doctor this question when i was put on Propranolol and he said its perfectly fine but you will get drunk quicker

Mabelina xx

Quote Originally Posted by mabelina View Post
    I also asked my doctor this question when i was put on Propranolol and he said its perfectly fine but you will get drunk quicker

I started on the Propranolol aboutt a week ago, I managed to resist the alcohol for a few days, (which is good going for me!) but had a couple of glasses on Valentines day. You do get tired-drunk quicker, but it didn't really have any major differences.

I will say this: be prepared for weird dreams. I wish I could remember more of them, they were all great! The only bit I can remember is whwn my wife woke me, and I told her I was in the middle of a pie fight with Phil Jupitus, and Andi Peters...

I get those weird dreams: some funny, some odd.

Thread Information