Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: benefits

Re: benefits

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    I'm on incap benefit, but claimed dla and didn't get a thing!!! I am housebound agoraphobic + have back problems, chronic fatigue & chronic lung disease!! I could try & claim again but my circumstances haven't changed since last time. It makes me mad that different areas of the country seem to have different rules I also had someone help me fill in the claim form. I had a dcotor come out to see me, he was here an hour, gave me all kindsa tests & asked loadsa stupid questions I got told that you don't get the money cause you have the illness, you get it to help you and they said that extra money wouldn't help me! FFS who couldn't do with some extra money!!!!BLAH

Just having a rant.

Els
    xx
    Thats really bad its like a postcode lottery, you get the money and help depending on where u live it sucks.
    turned back upon the past?

Hi everyone I get DLA, I was awarded the higher rate of Mobility and the middle rate of care, not for agoraphobia but other health problems (which caused me to give up work 18yrs ago) my husband took over as my full time carer 8yrs ago when my daughter had to give it up due to pregnancy. He was made redundant at the time. I must admit we do struggle, as he doesn't get much in carers allowance, we were told at the time that we had to live off his redundancy pay and when that had run out he wouldn't be able to claim anything for not working as he was registered as my carer Can anyone tell me if this is right?

to you all

Diane
    'Remember, your imagination is always much worse than the reality'

Diane,
    For state benefit purposes redundancy pay is classed as capital and not income so unless the capital exceeded £16,000 he would have been able to claim other means tested benefits before he became your carer and even assuming the capital was over £16,000 he could have claimed Job seekers allowance for up to 6 months if he previously paid enough NI contributions.
    You would have the right of appeal and could request back dated benefit if you could prove that you were incorectly adviced by an official person or body.
    If you are living below the amount the law says you require to live on you can claim Income support if you are under 60 or Pension credit if one of you is over 60.
    Have a look here -
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/CaringFo...rs/DG_10012522
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/CaringFo...rs/DG_10037637

and this site will tell you what else to claim, just fill in your details
    http://www.entitledto.co.uk/

Hope this helps
    Decca.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information