Thread: Fatigue and Lethargy

Fatigue and Lethargy

I know everyone will say these are common symptoms of an anxiety disorder. I guess I am just looking for someone else who feels the same and some reasurrance. I am currently in a relapse of agoraphobia and have had some bouts of extreme anxiety and panic. It is far from the worst it has been and I know I will recover this time. For the past 3 days, I have felt extremely weak and fatigued - just no energy. I tend to get this way before my period but it is not "that time of the month." My body hurts and even my mind feels fatigued. I am sleeping ok, though not enough for what my body needs for the anxiety I am experiencing daily. This started on Saturday when I woke up at 7am to a phone call from my work, saying I was schedulled to work and why wasn't I there. I was shocked and horrified and had no record of being schedulled to work that day. I have been off work since the end of July due to my relapse but as I work on a casual basis, I have randomly schedulled shifts. Had I known I was supposed to work, I would have cancelled it a week ago at least. Anyways, obviously I felt like a complete idiot and wondered what my co-workers must be thinking of me. So I could not sleep for the rest of that day and that's when the exhaustion set in.
    I am making this WAY too long and complicated....sorry. Please write if you can relate and tell me what you do to combat the fatigue. I start to worry it is my heart or cancer or any number of things!!!!
    Thanks

Re: Fatigue and Lethargy

Its nice to see another Canadian on here.

I actually went to my doctor last week because the fatigue I was experiencing was getting to be too much. He ordered blood work for my thyroid and also cortisol tests to make sure my adrenal glands are functioning properly. I havent gotten the results back yet. I imagine fatigue can be a symptom of anxety but after having anxiety for 17 years and not really experiencng the fatigue part I wasnt that convinced that was what it was. Have you had your thyroid checked? Iron levels? Defintely get those looked at as they are major causes of fatigue. If everything seems ok. Eating more protein and trying to eliminate refined foods will help. As will a good B vitamin complex. I have been having B12 shots by a naturopath to help with the enery levels. B vitamins are crucial for people with anxiety and really help with the fatigue. Also as hard as it is(I know trust me) aim for 30 minutes of exercise. Anything that will get your heart rate up. It sounds weird but it actually helps. Also avoid oversleeping as you will only feel much worse. Am for 8 hours. Hope that helps some!

Re: Fatigue and Lethargy

I just went to my doctor because of extreme fatigue. All tests came back OK...then why do I feel this way? He want me to start taking an anxiety med called effexor. I know there are side effects, but maybe they are not as bad as the fatigue, stomach problems, heart palps and all the rest that goes with anxiety!

Thread Information