Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Propranolol dosage, different anxiety control?

Propranolol dosage, different anxiety control?

I find if I take my 40mg dose of Propranolol I am fine. But a particularly stressful event came along and I checked the box. It says "as needed" so I thought I'd take two instead of one tablet, so 80mg. This is only about half what people often take for other Propranolol uses so I assumed it would be OK.

I found my anxiety ramped up really high, much higher than I would expect it to have been on 40mg. It was almost like I hadn't taken it at all.

Has anybody else noticed this? I will stick to my 40mg, but if anyone knows why this might be or has experienced it too?

Re: Propranolol dosage, different anxiety control?

Hi INtense

I used to take propranalol I was on 40 mg three times a day. On the odd occassion I did take 80 at one time if I was particularly stressed. and it did the trick. Is it possible that sub consciously you were more worried about taking the higher dose and this is what kicked off the anxiety?

Pooh xx
    I've crossed lines of words and wire, and both have cut me deep. I've been frozen out and I've been on fire, and the tears are mine to weep. But I can cry until I laugh, or laugh until I cry. So cut the deck right in half, I'll play from either side.

http://poohsworld-pooh.blogspot.com/

Hiya Pooh.

I wondered if it was psychological but I felt awfully shaky as well, like my hands. Propranolol can contract the airway a little bit so maybe I subconsciously felt like I couldn't breathe at that dosage. I will probably stick to 40 though because that seems to do nicely - even in high stress presentations!!!!!

When you take prop at a much higher dose than you are used to it can make you feel awfull i went from 10mg to 60mg overnight once and it was a nigthmare my main prob was feeling violently ill for two-four days till I got used to it

i have just started taking this today, it has on it one tablet 40mg once a day, but my doctor says i can take up to 3 a day if required

i started on 10mg as and when needed upto 3 times a day but my panic attacks started to get worse as thye were having no effect, so the doc bumped me upto 40mg to be taken 3 times a day. i started taking them on tuesday but i only take them when i feel the need and the pharmacy said i can still be on the 10mg ones until they run out so what i tend to do is if im having small panic attack i take 10mg and if having a big one i take 40mg dunno if im doing right but it works for me. And also having a bit of a break from everything, helps too as stress can be a factor aswell as caffeine and other factors

I didn't realise I could take more than 1 a day! I so needed to :O

Hi I've been on 40mg for nearly a month because of tachycardia and anxiety but still getting a little bit of pounding so my doctor said to increase to 60mg see how I feel then 80mg, been taking 40 in the morning and 20 at night and I'm starting to feel rubbish again!!! Anyone else had this? Just feel like my heart in pounding 24/7 since I started in the extra 20! Should I bump it up to 80mg see if that helps? I'm desperate x

just a quick reply about proprananolol...i took this when i started with PAs over 20 years ago...it led me to developing Raynauds disease which is a side effect from propranolol when taken for a long period of time...please have regular check ups at your g.p's especially if you have bad circulation.

I have been on Propranolol 10 mg a day now for a month and I am starting to feel like my old self. I have been exercising more and seeing a therapist also, but I think this drug made me functional again. It has been a lifesaver.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information