Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weight loss/ too thin / appetite problems

Weight loss/ too thin / appetite problems

Just wondering if anyone has been suffering from appetite and weight problems. Since I started having real anxiety problems my weight has dropped substantially, and after weighing myself this morning I was 9 1/2 stone which I'm sure is too underweight for a 23 year old. I also no longer fit into size 30 waist jeans even with a small belt (the belt doesn't help at all). It sounds silly but I'm constantly having to pull them up all the time.

I'm certainly not anorexic or anything as I want to try and gain weight. I'm not a massive eater either but I do have 4 sandwiches plus fruit and snacks, and an evening meal every day. I certainly don't have the appetite I used to but I put that down to the anxiety. Does anyone else have similar problems or have had any success gaining weight?

Re: Weight loss/ too thin / appetite problems

I have also lost alot of weight. 67 pounds. I could afford them then, I cant now. Anyway, you are losing weight because when you have anxiety or panic your metabolism is going at a high rate of speed and has to have more calories to sustain what you are burning off with the attacks. It is like running a marathon everyday. Your body is using every bit of food you put in your body for this. Have you ever noticed how tired you become after an attack? Its because your body uses every fuel source you have to fight. Just make sure you keep eating and maybe a little extra and drink plenty of water to stay hydrated. Take care.

Thanks for your words of support gtrgrl it's true, I seem to be tired all the time and it must be related to that. I wish you all the best too.

I gotta get the bus home from work in 15 mins, panic's starting to set in again!

I can sympathise... I bought a pair of size six jeans today... which was sort of symbolic as I had always promised myself I would never go smaller than an eight, but I got sick of pulling my trousers up all the time! The size six ones aren't any too tight, either. I have dreadful IBS with my anxiety which ruins what appetite I have, I have come to dread mealtimes and that awful 'I must eat something' feeling. I wish I could just be a size 8-10, that would suit me fine, but I can't do it. I also have emetophobia which makes eating so difficult.
    Anyway, sorry, this isn't about me! Just wanted to say you're not alone, and all the skinny bashing that's around in the popular press at the moment doesn't help... I don't know about you, but I get comments from people I would never get if I were at the other end of the weight spectrum! It just makes me more self-conscious and miserable. xxx

Hi, I am exactly the same, I also cant eat well at all when I am panicking or anxious. I am the total opposite of an anorexic I get into a state about losing weight and am always trying to put it on !. Some people think I am cracked but I know I am not the only one. I hate mealtimes when I cant eat and every mouthful is an effort when your stomach is churning. Milk is great if you like it as it is a food so I would drink as much as you can. Also the more you worry about losing weight the worse it gets ! another vicious circle.

Best of luck to both of you and let all us skinnies stick together !
    Z

Hey Samira and Zebedee

I also tend to get comments like 'stick' and 'rake' which aren't helpful, nor is that I bought new clothes that no longer fit me (constant pulling up of trousers can be a bit much in public!). I wish you both the best in feeling better- I also have a form of emetophobia that seems to kick in before and during travelling, and it can last the whole evening if it's been bad, so I can completely sympathise. (hence my comment about the bus earlier!)

When I went to a pub recently with my friend, I was so anxious at the start that I ordered a very small portion. But as I was eating it got better and I ended up hungry in the end! Sadly though it affects me every time I go in I get nervous about not being able to eat.

And I'm a big kid as I love milkshake! The calories are a bonus of course thanks for that suggestion!

I can't believe some people diet to get like this!

Hi Graz,

I can relate to this as it happened to me before. As has already been pointed out it doens't really matter how much you are eating- though obviously the more the better. When we get in the anxious cycle we do burn off lots and it is scary.

In another thread I posted about Complan. I'll have to either stop doing it or start asking them for commission.

Complan is a supplement that you can take with your meals- I used to take mine as a milkshake. When I lost alot of weight I got really worried and this helped put most of it back on. It's available in most supermarkets in the UK. There are also alot of similar products which if you look are in the same area in the supermarket and probably do the same thing cheaper.

All the best

Nechtan

Hey,
    you don't say how tall you are..
    ..i have dropped down to 6st 11lb although at 5'1" that is only slightly underweight.
    If you are eating normally (honestly!) then you should see your dr.
    But if you are not feeling great, perhaps depressed, you are likely to lose your appetite (amongst other changes) and its possible you haven't realised the extent of it.
    Best advice I can give is if you've lost your appetite try to eat breakfast, even if you don't normally - something like a yogurt drink or smoothy is good. Then try to eat small but frequent healthy snacks, eg, piece of fruit, mini cold meat n salad, bit of pasta, etc. It would be a good idea to ask for a referral to a dietician if this is an ongoing problem.
    The advice I've been given to specifically GAIN weight is to eat things like cheese, milky drinks, plenty of protein (meat, beans, pulses, etc) but ALWAYS maintain a balanced diet - it sounds so simple but i cannot stress enough that if you skip meals, eat junk, drink coffee and so on, your body will not know what the bloody hell its doing!!
    However, having said all this, I do believe it is perfectly possible to suffer weight loss as a direct symptom of stress (which can obviously result from anxiety/panic).Why? God knows!
    BUT THE POINT IM TRYING TO MAKE IS THAT YOU WILL FEEL BETTER PHYSICALLY AND EMOTIONALLY (NO MATTER WHAT YOUR WEIGHT IS DOING!) IF YOU EAT WELL and cut out/down on things like caffeine, alcohol,etc.
    Good luck.xx

Hello,
    Yes indeed - I had very similar problems! Whenever I get anxious, my appetite naturally vanishes. this was once sustained over a period of about 7 months, during which time I went down to 7.5 stone, when my normal weight is just over 8.5 stone. I really fretted about it, but of course, the more I fretted, the more I lost! My doc said as long as my periods were still happneing, I was ok. They did alwyas happen - had a few missed periods and some werer late, but on the whole fine. I eventually put more weight on after six weeks of taking anti depressants, and starting to feel better - my appetite returned naturally. I am now back up to 9 stone - I like having a few extra pounds, 'just in case!'. my only advice is to eat little and often, and try to add calories wherever possible - lots of butter/mayonnaise on sandwiches, avocados, ice cream, milk shakes etc etc. I also really liked bananans, weetabix and soups. Hope this helps!

Hey Nechtan, Carly and Seeker, wow I didn't expect so many people to be in the same situation!

I definitely agree that the anxiety burns off a lot as I end up sweating like I'd run a marathon, which is certainly good evidence for that. I'll certainly give the Complan a try, the chocolate one sounds good to me! Thanks for the suggestion

I'm 6 feet, so pretty tall....and I do try to eat normally but I tend to get full very quick, and because of that I find it awkward to eat out (always having small portions and things like that!). I have breakfast at the weekend, but on the weekday mornings I'm so anxious about going to work (and feeling sick) that I don't feel hungry at all, and trying to force down breakfast made me feel worse...but I'll certainly try to eat more little and often

It's certainly nice to try and add calories rather than reduce them! Whole milk is a lot nicer than skimmed, and full fat things are usually much nicer than low fat!
    It's a shame that anxiety causes a big loss of appetite like that, as it's easy to assume you're doing it on purpose (as some people do) but it's certainly not the case. I'd do anything to be able to enjoy a 3 course meal again... what really brings it home is if I put my arms down by my sides I can feel my pelvis bones either side. Not so good!

Thanks for the replies everyone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information