Thread: raised CA-125

raised CA-125

hi everyone hope you are all ok
    i was just wondering if any of you have had a raised CA-125 level at all?
    i asked my doctor for this test as i am feeling really nauseous and it always seems to be connected to my hormones
    so the test came back raised iyts a 41,but my doctor said that its not high enough to be a cancer marker but it could signal cysts or fibroids or endimetrosis which would all explain my heavy periods
    so i,m having a ultra sound of my womb and overies done soon
    i,m hoping that the appointment won,t take that long!
    i would be really grateful if anyone has any info

Re: raised CA-125

Hi Rach

Not sure if you saw my post or not but I had a scan last week and I have fibroids and an ovarian cyst and I get very heavy periods and terrible pains in that area.

My appointment on the NHS took from 21st July when the doc referred me to last Monday - so about 4 weeks.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

hi nic
    thanks for replying i will have a look through for your post
    yeah the doctor said it would be roughly 3-4 weeks but i,m just impatient!!!!1
    do you ever suffer from nausea at all?
    good luck with the results of your scan hun
    did it take long to do and also(sorry for firing all these questions at you)did you have just an external scan or did you also have to have an internal one?
    thanks nic

sorry nic just one more question i promise!!
    did they tell you there and then what the problems were?
    thanks

I had lots of tests last year because of abnormal bleeding - it turned out to be hormonal prerimenopause but I had the scan and blood tests.

The ultrasound scan initially is usually external like the pregnancy one - the radiographer told me that if they see anything they want a better look at then the go on to do an internal ultrasound. Of course this is just what I was told at my hospital so may be different at different hospitals.

I didn't need the internal as all was well. The gyny did the CA125 blood test which was normal but she also explained to me that fibriods, cysts and endo and also where you are in your cycle can influence the test which is why they don't use the test for screening as it gives so many slightly raised results.

The scan will solve things once and for all - if your scan is normal then end of matter.

good luck and patience is what we have so little of with health anxiety we wnat to know we are okay NOW

Rach

My post is here...

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=32962

I wasn't feeling nauseous at atall - I just had terrible pains.

I am due to go back in 6 weeks for a re-scan.

They told me to drink 1 pint of water an hour before but apparently it wasn't enough (they said I may have been dehydrated) so they could not do the external exam and I had to have the internal one but it doesn't hurt at all or anything.

Yes they showed me the fibroids and cyst on the screen but to be honest it looked like loads of black bits and some white bits so I had no idea what I was looking at lol.

They took measurements so I guess they can compare it next time.

They said they will not treat the fibroids - they will go when I get the menopause and depending on how the cyst goes in 6 weeks then I may have to be referred on to someone for that.

Hope that helps.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Thread Information