Thread: Going traveling...Need some advice

Going traveling...Need some advice

I have developed a problem in the last four years and it is definitely going to show up in my future travels. I am unsure if it's anxiety and I have an appointment with my doctor but I thought I would ask here as well.

Here's the story...

Four years ago I was in the passenger seat of a van and suddenly had trouble breathing as we went around a corner headed downhill(not fast). It is the feeling you get when you go over a hill unexpectedly in a car. Fun at first, but painful when it sticks around.

It only lasted 45 secs.

It happened about a year later while I was driving down a low sloped hill at a slow speed. I had to pull over. When I started again it happened again even though I was only doing about 10 mph.

It happens in cab rides when I've been drinking and on swing sets.

I have tried to "master" it on swings but I always need to jump off.

I am about to start work on a cruise ship and I know the waves will give me that feeling. But I want to overcome this feeling. It happens on amusement rides. I have ridden these all my life and they only recently gave me problems.

I am not conciously afraid when it happens. But it i a orrible feeling and hard to stop.

Has anyone heard of a problem like this before? Is it anxiety? Or could it be a health problem because it mostly happens during a change in altitude?

Thank you

Re: Going traveling...Need some advice

It could be anxiety defintely but it could also be an inner ear thing. Go to your doctor and have your ears checked out for starters. I would defintely go before you start work on the ship.
    Good Luck!

yea very good idea to check your ears, i get that weird tummy skinking feeling on swings, n in a car on a bumpy road, is that how u feel? maybe the anxiety makes it worse?

Hi There

It could be your ears so like the others have stated always best to get that checked out.

Then again it could be anxiety.

When you go on journeys do you worry about the journey before the journey starts ?( Am i going to having breathing problems etc), I have a similar sittuation when i go in a car but mine is a feeling of been trapped inside, I used to get so worked up about the journey before we set off that i would be a nervous wreck while in the car(cant breathe etc) till eventually i avoided going anywhere!
    What i have learnt though since knowing its anxiety is not to avoid the sittuation (sounds like you are trying real hard)and try to prove to myself no matter how rotten i feel nothing bad will happen and that does help to build up my confidence.

The cruise ship job sounds a dream job so i would give it your best shot, what a lovely opportunity dont let that anxiety beat you !!

GOOD LUCK

Love

Andrea
    xxxxx

It is that same funny stomach feeling, but it gets continually worse and starts to be a pain in my chest and I start to worry about what will happen if that pain continues.

I am not worried about it ever before a ride, except the swing, when I am pretty sure its going to happen. With deep, deep breaths it often disappears but I wonder how many deep breaths I will have to do on a ship for 4 months straight. Deep breaths do not work on the swing however, only during car rides.

Thread Information