Thread: Citalopram - How long do side affects last?

Citalopram - How long do side affects last?

Hi all
    I have given in today and accepted I may need some help with anixety and particularly PMT, I have started taking 20mg of Citalopram.
    I know the first few days are supposed to be bad with nausea and headaches. I took my first one this morning but my stomach feels all upset and I have been to the loo, I feel a bit sick and a bit spaced out!
    I was wondering how long these should last for and if it affects sleep, I have read other articles that say it keeps people awake but my doc told me to take them in the morning because of that?
    Need a little encouragement....

Re: Citalopram - How long do side affects last?

Hi petmad,

citalopram, had the opposite effect on me they made me sleepy so i used to take mine around 7pm so when i went to bed i was quite relaxed,
    The side effects dont last long, try not to think about them, you will feel a bit spaced,and because your thinking about them you will feel a bit more hyped up, but it passes soon, focus more on the good they will do you, I dont need them now and have not for a couple of years but would not hesitate to take them again if the need ever came up, i thought they were great,

I felt very nauseas and sleepy when I started citalopram.It lasted for about two weeks and then went off.I was told to take mine in the mornings so felt drowsy all day,but it did go off.

Hi Petmad

Like everyone said above, about a couple of weeks.

It will be worth it, Im sooo much better for taking them.

Good luck

J

My doc told me to take 10mg in the evenings. Haven't dared to take them yet as I am scared of the side effects.

Same with me. Effects lasted about 2 weeks. Didn't eat much either which for me was a good thing. I started on 20mg then after 6 weeks 40mg and have been put on 60mg for the past week. Few days of no hunger, i am still sleepy in the afternoon so i tend to watch Morse at 4 till 5. I do feel spacey tho but again i know that will pass.
    My husband has noticed a change in me particully going out. I can without panic. Even went out for a meal the other day.
    I see a mental health nurse every 2 weeks and am waiting to see a phschiatrist (spelt it wrong...oh well never mind eh)
    Just perservere, they have worked wonders for me Big hugs and good luck

Many thanks to you all! I will continue and am very hopeful for feeling better very soon x

Hi

I started mine just over 5 weeks ago and felt crap the first week progressing to good in week 4 but now I feel crap again - quite a lot of anxiety, nervous tummy etc and not getting to sleep at night.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? I am supposed to be off to Thailand in 10 days for a well earned holiday but starting to dread it now in case I feel like this!

Thanks

David

Hi everyone I new to this so little scared. I started citalopram 3 days ago 20 mg and I have felt horrible since taking first tab, real bad nerves in belly running to toilet no interest in eating at all and everything I eat runs through me!! Can't sleep either. How long will this last I feel so horrible and low"..................please help x

Thread Information