Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attack starts: What do you do?

Attack starts: What do you do?

So guys and gals, you know an attack is starting and you know that unfortunately you're going to have to see it through.

What do you do at the split second you know it's happening?

After coming on this site's chat room, I've learned that putting a talk show radio station on and reading can be a good combination. You've got two different methods of distraction then. Two different sets of phrases to comprehend to hopefully overpower your own thoughts.

That is only really suitable for bedtime or in the house. If you're out and about, what do you do? I guess the first thing I'd do is find somewhere to be alone, or get to someone close to me ASAP.

Re: Attack starts: What do you do?

Hiya ...well when it starts i admit I do start 2 get more anxious but then I stop and think ok then come on and I strt 2 take deep breaths and say its just my thoughts ......a very helpfull person on here told me 2 name it and It may sound strange at 1st but by naming it it automaticcally lessens the feeling so wen mine start I say hello Jasper (thats wot ive named mine ha )

My concellor has told me 2 try and accept it but it is hard esp when u are having an attack but by naming it and talking 2 it it takes your mind of it .

Well thats what I do and it does work ..ok not everytime but I have found it helps xxxxx

best wishes
    Titch xxxx

I am always looking outside myself for strength and confidence ,but it comes from within .It's there all the time x

I find my fears are worse indoors - I get so hot and cant breathe and look for an exit. i try to relax my breathing and say to myself - you are ok - relax - it cant hur tyou - easier said than done though!
    Wenjoyx

I get the hell out of wherever I am and sit down on the floor until it goes away xD

Been trying not to do that so much though because running away not only makes everyone think I'm absolutely insane but doesn't particularly help with getting better. It's just when they come on so suddenly I don't have time to tell myself "You need to stay where you are and try and ignore it". If I feel the anxiety building up first however, it means I have some time to remind myself that it's just adrenaline and it can't do anything. Normally that stops it escalating to a full blown attack

I have been reading 'panic away' and it says in there you should tell your panic that you want more, so it realises you're not afraid. So if you feel an attack coming on you think "is that the worst you can do?" or "Come on you can do better than that" or "I want more of this, it's not bad enough". Apparently if you say this to yourself the panic goes away as your body realises there is nothing to be afraid of and you feel more confident. You realise that if you ever feel an attack coming on again, you will be able to deal with it, so you don't get them as often.
    Hope it helps
    Amy
    x

I will start a conversation with anyone about anything other than how you feel at the time.

I find that talking to someone takes my mind off the fact that one is happening.

I've talked to many people over the years. If they ignore you or don't seem friendly the chances are they are preoccupied with thier own problems. Don't take it personaly.

Here's some possible solutions.
    • At the very instant of thinking about panic, thought switching/blocking can avert it if you can distract yourself long enough.
    • Once the chemicals have started to do their thing, it's still not too late to think your way out of it. Try to keep occupied while slow breathing and relaxing.
    • OK, your saturated with the nasty chemicals and your in a state of panic. You have to keep reassuring yourself that you will be OK and no harm will come to you. Do the breathing and relaxation exercises.
    It's thought that does it, so if you can change your thoughts at the very beginning you might stop the panic coming on. The Breathing technique is the best way to control panic. The way you breath influences a lot of things: heart and adrenaline to name a couple.

Tom

I had a panic attack coming on in B and Q the other day - It was soooo hot in there and we were miles from the door to get out. I told my husband then I walked round the store and managed to walk my anxiety off bykeeping moving but my hubby has told me we have to sort this out as its affecting our lives - we dont go the cinema,theatre etc any more or if we do we have tos it by the door and hubby isnt happy because he says it should be sometjing I can control!! I am hoping to see a hypnotherapist toget over this wanting to get out and feeling hot and breathless sensation that I get. CBT did nothing for me so heres hoping!!! Wenjoy x

I have got to the stage where I can ignore it and it does usually go away. I have sat at my desk holding on to the edges before just in case.

Maybe distraction methods would work? I try to do that.
    If not, the talking to your panic idea actually osunds quite helpful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information