Thread: Breath again

Breath again

I'm going to die. I've had this for 6 days now, but this time it's even worse. I kept being woken up because I couldn't breathe. It's laboured and difficult, and it feels as if I could breathe out forever (far more than normally) but I can't breathe in at all. Is this asthma?

I was going to write this in the thread I already had going, but I couldn't find it!

Re: Breath again

hi your not going to die , i get this everyday and night also its horrible and scary ,but after nearly a year of it im still about , i know it feels like your gonig to die but your not honestly i could of wrote this post myself if need to talk can always pm me

amanda

Wink Re: Breath again

Thanks, but I am dying. Can't breathe at all. Terrified. Dizzy, lightheaded. Asthma attack?

Hi, you really aren't going to die. Yes, at this moment it really feels like it but that is just the nature of the beast.

I get asthma and panic attacks and believe me, you would know the difference. Asthma isnt laboured breathing, it's like fighting for a breath thro a straw.

It may be hyperventilation - try either breathing into a paper bag until you feel your breathing is returning to normal or sit down and bend your body over your knees and breath for a few breaths (trick taught to me by my doctor)

I know it's scary, but you really wont die - this is something most of us have suffered with at some time or another, and we are all still here.

Take care and let us know how you get on

Pickle x

I was hyperventilating. Managed to stop it, thank goodness!

It does feel as though I'm fighting for breath through a straw! Is there anything else that will distinguish between asthma and a panic attack? Anything that only happens with asthma etc?

Thanks again.

Well done for coping and getting thro the hyperventilation - nasty symptom isn't it.

I found these links on the internet, they might help you

Asthma http://hcd2.bupa.co.uk/fact_sheets/M...ts/asthma.html

Hyperventilation http://search.bupa.com/cgi-bin/query...perventilation

Altho both present with short breaths you will see that it is for entirely different reasons

Take care and well done again

Pickle x

Well, this is not high season for asthmaproblems. If you didn't have these problems in june and july, you are not likely to have them now if you are asthmatic.
    And - most importantly, the part of asthma that most often leads to sensations of breathing difficulties are coughing. And this is not just a couple of small coughs, we are talking about some very nasty attacks of coughing with a lot of slime that contribute to obstruct your airways as well.

AND just as important - most people with asthma have more problems breathing out than breathing in.
    Last edited by Mikke; 03-09-08 at 05:09.

next time you hyperventilate try holding your breath! believe me it will help just count to ten! i learned this from a friend when i was 12! i have always found this helpful.
    also breath into a paper bag, or cup your hands over your mouth

Thread Information