Thread: Neck crack while running? Please help

Neck crack while running? Please help

I was on my daily 3 mile run this evening. Running on the sidewalk, I had to lower my head to avoid an extending branch. While doing so, I heard a large cracking noise from my neck. I kept running. Currently it doesn't hurt and after I did so it did not hurt. Is this normal? Should I worry? Now I can't stop "paying attention" to my head's movements. Sort of like paying attention to every time you blink or breathe. I'm self-conscious if I'm moving my neck too much, too little, what others will think.

Man, I'm really messed up right now. Someone help, please.

Re: Neck crack while running? Please help

Does your neck hurt or do you have restricted movement, or a grinding feeling when you turn your head? If not then I'd say there's zero to worry about. The crack was probably a tendon moving over a bone, or a joint popping. It can happen if you make sudden and/or awkward movements.

If in the next day or so you get pain, swelling, restricted movement, stuff like that then probably best to see a doctor. Otherwise - no symptoms, no worries . Well done you for running three miles every day.

Red face Re: Neck crack while running? Please help

Hey the exact same thing happened to my dad on holiday when he went on a rather violent rollercoaster, his neck was absolutely fine no pain appeared and infact he made his neck a lot less stiff. Im sure it was just one of those things and is nothing of concern. If you feel that it is causing you pain or difficulty moving your head then Im sure a trip to your GP would reassure you.

DizzyDi x

Re: Neck crack while running? Please help

Well, i dont think you have anything to worry about. Being a person who has suffered an authentic broken neck i can tell ya that if it was anything serious you wouldnt be writing about it asking a few days later. Our bones crack and crink and creek all the time... Think about how often our knuckles pop... The neck as so many bones and your spinal collum tends to self adjust quite often. It was just your cervical area self adjusting most likely. Our necks are far more resiliant then most give credit. I understand your concerns though and a simple trip to the chiropractor might do ya wonders for a great in depth explanation. I hope ya feel better and dont take this one too seriously...

Not Rich

Thread Information