Thread: Health Anxiety Who do you tell?

Health Anxiety Who do you tell?

Can I ask who you would normally tell about your Health Anxiety. I have had it since I was 15 and I am 39 now. Have only really known what it is for about 2 years. I have just left my job because my employer was not very understanding. I am sure if I had rung in saying I have the Flu it would of been fine, but I had been honest about it and the last couple of times I rang in I told the truth that I was very anxious and could not come in to work. This in total has only been about 4 days sickness in the last 2 years. I found the lack of understanding upsetting and it has made me nervous about who I tell in future. Just wondered if anyone else was open about it or is it best to keep it to yourself?

Re: Health Anxiety Who do you tell?

hello lovely
    i know what ur saying not alot of people around me understand why im always worrying about my health, they think i sould just get on with it, thats what im trying to do though but since i keep having health issues that actually might b trivial compared to wot some people are going through but in this life were all suffering and we should help eachother find peace and love so they can b strong enough to cope. i found this website helps me ive only been on here for 4 days and already made friends every single person on here has bin so postive towards me and i think if u stick here ur find the strength u need to... some people suffer anxiety but are to proud to tell anyone thats the real silly people ur not stupid just cos u have anixtey its natural and we al go through it on some level weve just gotta find away of controling it!!! but dnt feel u have to keep it inside of that u suffer HA because keeping it in will make u worse have a rant on here if u need to or c ur dr and ask for a counsiler. best wishes
    C.x

My HR manager was wonderful and understood everything as best she could.

This is an illness and you need to find the right Dr and psychiatrist to treat you.
    I have been on meds since I was 18 and in the next few months I will be paying to see a proper psychiatrist to see if I can get some answers as to why my thoughts act this way off meds. I feel it's a chemical problem in my brain not something that went on in my life.

I feel ok on meds at the moment but I want to try for kids again and I need to give it a go at least for my husband who thinks meds and pregnancy = a disabled child, I need to find out the facts about that too.

Errr so many struggles in life.

Good luck and your HR department shuld be helpful!

Hello, thank you for your replies, it is so nice to have people to chat to that understand. I have had CBT which is good for keeping it at bay most of the time. I had to pay for it though as it is a 2 year waiting list in our area on NHS and can't afford anymore. A couple of times a year it comes an grabs me by suprise and then all the therapy in the world can't save me, like now for example. I do have a very good GP who I can talk to, I don't take any meds on a regular basis but do have a small supply of diazepam for when it all gets too much and sometimes they have really helped me to pull myself out of it. I have a good idea of why I am the way I am, my Mum had Health Anxiety and both my parents had heart attacks when I was young about 11. I was always an anxious child which I think plays a roll. I try not to let my children see just how bad it can get me. I really hope you can come of your meds, and have a baby soon. I am just going to be careful before I tell any employer again that I have Health Anxiety. Lots of love to you both and a big hug xxxxxxxxxxx

The only people that know about my health anxieties are my GP and my husband. I think if I tell any one else about them they would label me a hypochondriac. You need good support but for me the less people that know the better.

I keep my worries very much to myself, because I don't think many people understand; people can be quick to make judgements - and I think they may tend to see me only as a 'hypochondriac'. From reading the posts on this forum, I can see how sensitive and compassionate people are who suffer mental torment - we have great insight, and understanding, but can be seen as self absorbed by those who do not understand our condition.

I think you are right I am going to be very careful who I tell in future.

I told my GP, and I got referred to get some CBT, I'm really hoping it helps, because, it is really making me freak out at the moment.

Thread Information