Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CBT

CBT

hello everyone,

Had a bit of an emotional and revelationary experience today. I went for my CBT assessment, which at first I thought had gone really badly. Firstly, I discovered this morning before going that I had thrown out the piece of paper telling me where the appointment would take place. [Duh!] So ended up driving to different hospitals and asking. Finally, one woman called around and found out where I was meant to be.

So...turned up 15 min late and the guy called me in. Ed had been for CBT here is Durham and had seen a young trainee who had no idea what he was doing and proved to be useless so I didn't have much hope. I was pleasantly surprised to see that this guy was about 50 and looked like he knew what he was doing. When I walked into the room, I was surprised to see another woman there (she was the note-taker) and a box of tissues next to my seat. I thought to myself "wow, people actually come in here and cry??" Silly me. 20 min later I was sobbing my eyes out!! I had no idea that they asked such personal questions!! I ended up telling him things from my childhood that I haven't told anyone before (even Ed!!).

This may sound silly but I had never thought that these events from my childhood had such an impact on my anxiety/panic attacks. I mean, I assumed that they played a role but until this guy pointed it out, I didn't realise what a LARGE role they played. He literally sat there and connected things from my past to my present. Very scary!!

Only thing now is that I have to wait 2-4 months for my first appointment..

Sarah

Sarah

At my CBT assessment they had a tick list that they seemed to be scoring me against.

E.G.

Do you feel like you don't want to live anymore - tick
    Have you lost all interest in sex - tick
    Do you feel that you can't cope with life - tick

etc etc

Then they talked to me a bit and then decided that I was "ill" enough for some help lol!

I am pleased that it helped even though you got upset - that will be good to get it all out in the open though and open up about it.

Pleased you felt it helped though so let's hope the next sessions go well too.

Nicola

Sarah

Sorry you got mixed up where to go, but i hope you appointment comes through as soon as rather than later as in my opinion it really does help.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

Its amazing what we harbour within ourselves ..Sarah ..

Hope it comes through soon and is helpful.

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
    Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

hi sarah glad u got there in the end, do you feel it has helped you,

kairen x

Hi sarah, it is mentally exhausting isnt it, im sure in the long run you will feel better for todays events.
    it is a shame you have such a long wait for the next meeting.
    You will feel better for getting things in the open just maybe not today.
    You know where we all are Sarah if you need us, yes in the forum getting you drinks in, seriously though I am with you all the way.take care and stay strong, love Alexis.xx

hey sarah,
    you know what they say, better out than in!
    these things can be so mentally draining, but i really believe they are helpful and worth it in the end.
    is there no way you can hurry the next appointment along?!?
    henri x

hi guys,

Thanks for your replies!! Yes, I think the CBT will help. The guy made it sound like it's exactly what I need.

After my stressful day, I had a horrible night. I went to bed quite early cos I was meant to go into Newcastle this morning for research. Suddenly, my head felt like it was on fire and so did my feet. I had never had this feeling before and started freaking out cos I had my hair dyed yesterday and was thinking that maybe I'm allergic to it, etc. It finally got too much and the panic started rising. :( I called Ed in and he talked to me and I controlled my breathing and the panic passed, thank goodness. I really thought I was heading for a full-blown attack. I guess it was just the stress of yesterday. I hadn't realised how much it had got to me..

Sarah

Hi Sarah,

You have my moby, u shud have text me wud have met u in town for cuppa, maybe next time hope your feeling a bit better hun big hug xx

kairen x

Hi Sarah

Hope you are feeling better today.
    I'm glad your appt went well and letting it all out will help you in the long run I'm sure.
    I have had the head burning too and it's not nice is it!!!

Take care chuck

Elaine x

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information