Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Efexor ?

Efexor ?

Hello, I've posted on here several times lately desperately seeking advice and been very grateful of the responses i've received. My situation was worsening and I had been stressing in a big way as a result of my over-reactions in certain situations. I was coming home crying and lost half a stone in 4wks. I was having panic attacks through 60mg of beta-blockers. In desperation, i went back to the docs today. He's now given me Efexor and is looking into CBT for me. I'm hoping this will stop my negative thoughts which kick off the blushing, hyper-ventilating, shaking etc.

What i was wondering, can you drink "any" alcohol. I know it says not to but its often when you don't have a drink that ppl start asking awkward questions especially around xmas. I've told friends etc. about my problem but do not want to mention it to work colleagues for fear of appearing weak -espeically as its not an environment that suits anxious people like me!!

Also, has anyone had any side effects. i took a citalopram and my lips swelled, and i kept geting involuntary movements and scratching. I'm yet to take my first efexor, but want to know what i have ahead of me.

Will I be able to function okay in the next few weeks without ppl noticing any jitteryness?

Hi, I know your pain. I feel the same way. I'm struggling bad. All meds have been awful, including Effexor. It made me feel awful from that first dose of 37.5 mlg. But, I do know the meds will make you feel worse b4 better, but the worse is what I can't deal with. I got the tremors from that and dizzy and just felt plain out of. I know I have a very sensitive reaction from SSRI"s.. they bring on strange symptoms, I had the very same reaction from the Celexa(Citro).. but the worse that can happen is the same if not a worse feeling, but take w/ caution. You may just have sensitive reaction to the Serotonin which is more common thent these drs. care to admit. But maybe radar w/ help she's a better expert.

Hi kd

I am presently trying to come off Venlafaxine and I think its giving me terrible symptoms. I feel awful. I am tingling all over but in particular my right side of my body, dizzy, nauseous, and I have felt particular itchy all over my body today also. Plus I have had a migraine for 5 days now also ( or I think its a migraine). I have only really been taking these tablets for 2 months and to be honest I didn't feel any affects until about 3-4 weeks. The first few weeks I also suffered terrible symptoms, they made me feel 10 times worse, in fact I couldn't eat or anything I was so worked up.

However, I have chosen to stop taking these pills myself just because I wan to try and take control of my anxiety myself..although I know this is going to be difficult. Once my pills started to work though, I felt good so they help when you need it. Dont worry about whether other people will notice anything strange about you because they wont. The majority of the time no one evers suspects someone is suffering panic attacks or anxiety becauase we tend to not show it and act normal to everyone else. Its only ourselves that know how we feel.

Take care

sadie

Kd,

It's not advised to include alcohol but people do every day and they're totally fine. Your choice.

I used to have a G+T and then keep topped up with just tonic all evening. Not very exciting but kept the questions at bay.

Lots but not all people have symptoms when first starting a SSRI , it has to be got through before the ready brek feeling kicks in.
    There may be a considerable wait for CBT, what are you doing in the meantime to actively help yourself ?

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
    Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Hiya KD
    About the not drinking thing...I havent gotten drunk since this started 18 months ago. I have since had one baileys and about 3 glasses of wine ...so few i can still count them...lol
    Its been my choice not to drink so each to their own but loads of people keep asking me why (including tonite a guy asked me if i wanted a double vodka to top off my orange juice).
    The excuses ive given are that a) Im on a health kick, b) not in the mood or c) its funny being able to remember all the things drunk people do and be able to remind them about it later...lol, d)its too cold to take the bus so im driving. Dont feel pressured to drink if you dont fancy it, have a drink if you do... if in doubt LIE...lol
    Love Sarah
    xxx

Thank you for all your replies. I'll start taking the effexor tomorrow. daren't just yet!

Radar - you asked what I'm doing to deal with my problems at the moment. I'm doing quite well, in that I'm sharing my problems with family and some friends. I'm taking beta blockers, however they are not too effective. I've half mentioned to my boss that I worry too much .... but not mentioned the full extent of my problems. The most rediculous thing that I'm having problems with at the moment is that i seem to have stupid reactions (panic attacks) whenever sexuality is mentioned -i'm on a new course and its mentioned all the time with discrimination issues etc. It would make it ten times easier if I was gay but I'm not. I've been single for many years now so in my mind i must be thinking that ppl think i'm gay cos i'm single; this has only just been an issue since starting the course, and only becomes an issue once again when its being discussed. This sounds so screwed up, and indeed it is. I think far too much, and always think people are judging me. I'm sitting waiting for "it" to be mentioned and waiting for the panic to start. Its like I'm in half panic mode in anticipation of it coming up. Its like when I'm in a shop I think ppl are watching me cos they think I'm going to steal something. So, i want to take the effexor to stop all these stupid negative thoughts about myself and so i can live life to the max instead of having stupid worries all the time.

I was too embarrassed to mention the full extent of this to my GP but have shared it with my family and friends which has made me feel better. And, thank goodness, they are not concerned that maybe there is an underlying issue -cos there's not. I'm just paranoid about anything and everything.

I've probably given too much detail there, but hope that people can understand the stupidness of it.

Also- can I take that bach remedy with effexor ?

thanks for support

Hi all,
    I've started efexor yesterday but they make me feel so strange.I feel shaky inside and it's not showing outside.
    I yawn every 5 minutes and everything around me feels unreal like being in a dream. I feel really dizzy too. Lightheaded and tense in same time.
    Has anyone had the same effects? Are those effects going to pass? Should I still carry on them?
    Please reply, it would help me so much.
    Lots of love.
    Florence.

kd,

yes,you can take bach rescue..it will probably help you..a few drops in a bottle of mineral water,and sip all day.

florence,

please read all the posts,and use the search facility at the top of the page...all these medications,seem to make you feel worse ,for a few weeks,before they kick in..well worth the wait....bryan.

Both times I have taken Cipralex (SSRI) I felt awful for a week, didn't sleep, panicking, jittery inside but then the side effects stopped and they really help me. My advice would be to try them for at least a few weeks and if they are still not agreeing with you go back to the doctors.

Regarding drinking - I still do this and am fine, although today I have a hangover and am feeling panicky!

Emily

Hi all

I am trying to reduce my dose of Efexor by taking one 75mg every 2nd day. Since ive started to do this I have been feeling kind of weird. I have had tingling down my limbs, face and in my mouth and a sore head. I was wondering wold it be best just to stop taking these pills altogether or will that just make things worse? Bryan has previously wrote that it take 8 weeks for medication to get our your system, does that mean I will feel like this for 8 weeks...I only took the pills properly for 8 weeks? Lastly, is coming off medication dangerous or what i mean to say are these symptoms dangerous?

I really wish I never started taking medication!!!

sadie

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information