Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Endoscopy is it awful?

Re: Endoscopy is it awful?

Hello I had one a couple of weeks ago and like everyone was scared rigid but it was OK, I opted for sedation but got the spray as well to my surprise. I was vaguely aware of the tube being down but not the procedure, I didnt exactly sleep but when I got home i did!!!! It was certainly not as bad as I was expecting and wouldnt be scared another time

joy

I have had 2 of these done in the past. If you tell them that you suffer from acute anxiety I would think they would sedate you enough to put you out whilst doing the procedure. Afterall, the last thing they want is a panicking patient.

I had the throat spray first (tasted of bananas) then the sedation, counted to 7 and bingo! I was out until I came round about an hour later. I did have a sore throat but then that's natural owing to the tube going down the throat.

I don't remember anything. Good luck.

Kevin.

Thank you everyone, I will take your advice and tell them how anxious I am.

I had one a couple of weeks ago. I had the throat spray only. Whilst it is uncomfortable, it is bearable. I coped by concentrating on steady breathing in through my nose and out through my mouth. Swallowing the tube was OK. The worst bit was went it was coming out as that made me retch a about 3 times. The whole thing was done very quickly - much quicker than I anticipated. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. You'll be OK.

ANDY

I tried to have one on the NHS a few weeks ago and had the throat spray. They couldn't do it in the end because I gagged so badly.

I then had one done elsewhere and had the sedation which was a big deal for me as I am TERRIFIED of needles in any shape of form but got through the injection bit and it was fine. Really strange as I thought it had taken about 30 seconds but my wife said I was in there for 15 mins!! Didn't really remember it afterwards, just had bad trapped air in my stomach for 3 days after but that passed.

I would go for it with sedation. The relief of knowing what is or is not going on in there is worth it!

Yes, I think sedation may be for me too. thanks for advice xxxxx

Hiya M8y ..

was just wondering have u had endoscopy done yet ...been thinking about you xxx

Let me know how u get on hun xxxxxxx

Titchjd xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I am always looking outside myself for strength and confidence ,but it comes from within .It's there all the time x

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information