Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Demon Drink

Demon Drink

Hi everyone I am a new member. I enjoy a social drink but lately after even the first sip I panic about the panic I may have the next day. Resulting in headaches, pals, dizzy etc. they I blame myself for taking three drinks which I know logically has done me no harm. Is it the panic thats the cause, or the drink. I only drink one or two nights a week and it would only be maybe two drinks three at the most.

Hi there and welcome to the forum. Good to have you here.

Alcohol can cause panic when taken in excess. My first panic attack was after a heavy night drinking. Even now if I overdo it I can really feel it the next day!

I think it is the fear of what may happen more than the alcohol itself and you are certainly not a heavy drinker or drinking to excess. I think you are thinking ahead of what the panic may be like the next day so that worries you and can cause some anxiety.

Nicola

hi Nicola

thanks for your reply, this may sound silly but I am having pals even thinking about it. I had a bad panic attack after drinking shortly after my father died in nov. could this be the cause.
    Surely even the recommended no. of units a week is safe. I am worried because anything I read says drink is not good if you suffer from panic and anxiety.

hello Ingy,

Welcome to the forum!!

I avoid alcohol and have done for the past 2 years because my first panic attack happened after a night of heavy drinking. Alcohol can make a panic attack more likely to happen but I think it depends on the person. Only drink what you feel comfortable with. As Nic says, you are probably scared of what will happen if you drink and it is this fear that makes you panic..

Sarah

Hi Ingy,

I think the most important question to ask yourself is whether you notice a dramatic increase in your panic the NEXT day. Some people are really sensitive to alcohol. But if not, then you are probably like me, and have just scared yourself about drinking. I think that alcohol does effect anxiety/panic, but after a night of heavy drinking. I don't think that the amount that you drink should cause any problems at all. I had also heard teh alcohol and anxiety link, and had avoided alcohol for 2 months. Last night I went out for a friend's birthday and had a few martinis, and guess what? I was fine! I was just having so much fun at the party that I didn't even think about the fact that I ws drinking, so i didn't get anxious about it. Try to just enjoy yourself and keep in mind that a couple of drinks aren't going to hurt you!! I think that getting out with friends and having a good time is one of the best things you can do for yourself, as long as it is done responsibly. Take care Ingy, and keep in touch!

Lisa

You could associate the panic attack with the alcohol and the death of your dad (sorry to hear about that by the way).

I associate my panic with driving so my issues are still remembering driving home with the hangover and panicking.

It is not good for panickers cos it stimulates you and that can aggrevate the already stimulation of panic. I still drink but I need to be careful cos hangovers are a killer for me too and they make me feel panicky.

It is a personal choice to stop altogether (like Sarah did) or drink in moderation. It is a case of try it and see.

Nicola

hi ingy,
    welcome!
    i'm exactly like you, haven't been able to drink properly since i started having panic attacks. my CBT therapist told me i was being silly and that i was just scared of how the drink would make me feel. he said that if i just had one drink it wouldn't affect my panic. he made me have a glass of wine with dinner just to prove to myself that i could. i did and i was fine. sometimes if i have three or more drinks i feel really panicky the next day. but if i drink loads of water before i go to bed, i'm fine.
    i think that generally alcohol and panic don't mix well but if you're only having two or three drinks it shouldn't be a problem.
    hope that helps...
    henri

Start with a really weak spritzer or shandy and stick with it until you're comfortable and then progress to moderation..

alcohol and panic-do they mix?

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
    Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Hiya!
    Im just repeating what has already been said but i find that if i overindulge in alcohol i will feel terrible all day the next day. However, i can have as much as four or 5 drinks without feeling too bad the next day. Now ive written that it seems like quite a lot! lol

Take care
    Em xxx

hi everyone

thanks everyone for your advice on the demon drink! somehow i think i will have lots questions as i have suffer from panic and anxiety for the past seven years! EXCELLENT SITE!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information