Thread: Nervous about starting college

Nervous about starting college

Hi,

Im 16 and my anxiety started about 2 years ago, when I started to feel sick about the thought of going to school. It also developed into other things such as worrying about having to go out eg. shopping with friends. When I get anxious my heart will race, my stomach muscles will be all clenched and i will feel faint and nauseous. If I dont get it under controll it can go into a full blown panic attack where I cry, shake etc Im sure many of you will know the feeling

So anyway, I left school in June and have had an ok summer, but now im starting college next week and already im starting to get worried. I wont know anyone at all, and have to get 2 buses there and 2 buses back (dont know why but thats worrying me too lol, what if i loose my bus pass, what if i miss the bus, thinking about all situations etc). Its weird, im not really scared about anything in particular, just the whole thing of starting college and having to talk and meet new people. What if I say something stupid? What if I hate it and can't "escape"? When I think about it, it isnt as much im scared of starting college it just that I know from past experiance that I will have a panic attack and get all anxious and scared. I can tell that on monday morning i'll get up, feel quite worried, then as the minutes go buy till I have to leave i'll get more and more worried and if i dont controll it I will just have a panic attack and freak out.

How can I learn to controll this panic and nip it in the bud now so that it doesnt escalate into panic attacks next week??

Thanks for reading and sorry if it doesnt make sense or something

xxxxxxxxxx

Smile Re: Nervous about starting college

Sounds like me!

I'm Lucy and I starting having PAs when I was 14. In the end I had to stop going to school because I was panicking every day. So after taking my GCSEs at home I was terrified about going to college. I gave it a go, but I wasn't ready for it. Luckily my parents have been really supportive and on the first day of college my dad waited outside in the car for me, just in case I needed him- which in the end I did! (Don't know if your family might be able to do anything similar?)

Anyway, I'm now 19 and have been doing courses with the Open University from home for the past 3 years. I still suffer from anxiety and panic, but I am improving (just very slowly).

I'm not saying that you will not be able to manage college- but I just wanted you to know that if you can't cope with it, there are other options. If you put loads of pressure on yourself you'll just end up feeling even more stessed and anxious. Similarly, if you convince yourself that you will panic then you probably will, so try to be positive (I know it's easier said than done).

Do practical things like breathing techniques, distraction and remember that if you do panic you will survive it- people will be there to help if you want them and if you're more worried about them thinking you're odd (same as me!) people say they don't even notice!

I'm sure you'll meet some really nice people who just want to help and make you feel more relaxed, and if the first day doesn't go quite as you'd like don't beat yourself up about it- you can only do your best.

I hope some of that helped (I seem to have gone on a bit!) If you need someone to talk to then feel free to PM me anytime :-)

Good luck!

Lucy -x-

Re: Nervous about starting college

hi hun

im milly and i was a teacher until i got scared of ppl in school, lol

it happens to loads of us, ur not alone

college is a fresh start. only ur mind is telling u that bad things will happen. try and focus on that it wont happen and it will be fine. ur fear is feeding the anx. know this is easy to say, but u have no history of anx in the new college setting so theres no reason for it to happen there.

lucy gave good breathing advice

id always take water and tissues, cos i usually cry when i get anx lol

wow ur doing such a big step, well done

good luck

mill xx

Thanks so much for the replies they mean loads to me

I can feel that I am nervous and anxious about tomorrow but no panics so far, im just going to try and control it with deep breaths and telling myself that it'll be fine and if I really hate it that much no-one can force me to go back. I've only got to go in for 3 days this week, its kind of an induction thing then I start properly next week.

I'll report back lol xxxxxx

I know how you are feeling. I had anxiety really bad during university. I let all my profs know in case I had to leave. Just knowing I could made me feel much better. It got better the more my confidence grew. Just take it one lecture at a time.
    Take care.
    Michelle

Hi ya sweetheart,

My youngest (also 16) starts college tomorrow and she's getting all of a 'do' too!!

Noone likes the first day hun but rest assured you will not be the only one feeling this way as you are all new arn't you.

Just remember you can always excuse yourself to go to the loo whenever you want too to take a breather. I reckon once you get going you'll get so distracted with all the interesting stuff goin on that you'll foget about feeling wobbly.

What is it that you are studying?

Love Piglet

Hiya,

Just keep telling yourself that everyone gets nervous! I'm starting college tomorrow as well and trust me, everyone I know is scared about it! Everyone will be looking for new friends and stuff so just be yourself and I'm sure you'll meet some awesome new people

And I know what you mean about waking up and getting steadily more scared! I was like that yesterday because I started my first job - I just kept getting myself more and more scared until I decided I couldn't do it and got my nan to phone in and say I couldn't do it. Luckily, the manager persuaded me that I could work on a different department if I couldn't do that one, and I'm so glad I went! It was great fun and I learnt loads, and met some lovely people. I'm sure college will be just the same for you!

Peace, and good luck!

Hi

Today went well I was sooo nervous in the morning and in the car on the way there, but once there I calmed down and stayed calm all through the day And im pleased because my timetable is good, I only have 1 full day at college and the other 4 days im only in for 2 or 3 hours.

Oh and Piglet im taking A-levels in English, Psychology and Media.

Thank you all for replying it was a real help to think of all these kind understanding messages

xxxxxxxxx

Thumbs up Re: Nervous about starting college

Well done!!! Sounds like you coped brilliantly.

You should be really proud of yourself

Take care,

Lucy -x-

Thread Information