Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drugs

I have battled with my problems for years without the help of any medication. I was prescribed beta blockers and diazepan. I was too scared to take the diazepan, and only very infrequently take the beta blockers (the last time was in March). I keep telling myself that I will wait another 10 minutes, and then take one. When the ten minutes has passed, I then say I will wait another ten minutes! It works for me. (Just a shame I can't do the same with smoking - no will power!)

I am currently progressing nicely through CBT, and it has started to take effect, slowly but surely. On Saturday, I just decided to "pop" to the local city shopping, and was there two hours - unheard of last year!

However, I really feel I must disagree with Jim. If I had the option of SSRI's when I first started, I really feel that I would have "broken" the cycle, and could have maintained this with CBT.

It is extremely difficult to deal with problems without the aid of medication.

I would also like to point out that alcohol is a drug. Two pints a day getting close to the maximum safe limit per day, particularly if you go out at the weekend. Stopping drinking is a difficult to do as coming off drugs. Drinking is also harmful to your health if not carried out in moderation. Also, relying on two pints a day can lead to the same problems as taking medication. If you get dependant, it can bring on a panic attack if you are not able to "medicate" yourself with beer.

Fair enough if it works for you Jim, but I personally feel you are out of the frying pan and into the fire!

Not everybody suffers when they take medication. Obviously people are not going to bother to put a post on saying how great their drugs are. With the exception of the more light hearted forums on this site, the majority of the users share experiences and ask for advice on how to deal with problems, and therefore there are a large number of "this made me feel worse" messages.

However, many people (including some of my friends) have been greatly helped by taking medication, which in particular has improved their outlook on life, and helped to break the cycle.

Charlie

Hiya Charlie

leading on from your post i just had to say my drugs are GREAT...lol

love Sarah
    xxx

Sarah

It's a case of horses for courses! My progress is so slow, I sometimes wonder about starting a course of medication. But then I think, I've come so far without that maybe I'll try a bit more without. (And if I ever loose it again, then I've got something to fall back on - but this isn't going to happen).

Charlie

Charlie,

i think you are doing great without medication, your humour and lovely nature always shines through when you are posting. I know you will get through this as you have a great attitude to life in general

love
    lucky

Hiya charlie

You are absolutely right when you say 'horses for courses'! I was put on medication at the start and because i am in the pharmacy industry i wasnt too scared to take them. Having said that, dont know how i will feel coming off them so a bit miffed i took them in the first place.
    Good for you not taking meds, you sound like you are doing great without them.
    keep it up mate
    love Sarah
    xxx

Hi All,

I agree that for some, medication is necessary to get started on rationalizing this disorder. I know for myself, without the medication at those very hard times, I`m not sure what I would have done. I am thankful there is medication for those hard to bear times. However of course I think we all would rather be able to help ourselves without the start of any medication, but sometimes for some that is not very realistic. Kudos to those who have made it without the medication, I hope to someday be on my own in that area too. Thanks for listening.

Diana xxx

Thanks for that Lucky

It's made my day. I think one of my problems has been confidence, and having the confidence to be me, and saying stuff it, this is who I am, take it or leave it (although I still don't take rejection well!)

Still maintain one of the big parts of this is your outlook. And crying gives you more frown lines than laughing, and i'm getting to that age where they are starting to show!

Charlie

Confidence has never been my strong point whether it be looks, public speaking whatever!!

It think on this forum it is easier to be 'yourself' and it has been a laugh at times 'especially re farting machines/horses and piles' alot of the time it has really made my day

Lucky

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information