Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: upping sertraline dose from 50mg to 100mg

Re: upping sertraline dose from 50mg to 100mg

Hi

i have been getting terrible night sweats while on these meds.

i must start taking them in the morning because i take them at nite and have terrible insomnia

love mandie x

I've just started 100mg today and I feel a little sick and dizzy but I suppose it's just my body getting used to the new tablets.

My Sertraline was changed to 100 MG three weeks ago after taking 50 mg for four years. I see a slight difference, not quite as "on edge". But I have noticed that I am still awake at ,midnight, when I normally go to bed at 10-11. Doc says it will be six weeks util I see a noticable difference. She is trying to wean me off Lorazepam, which I have also been taking for four years. Milaena

i am on my 3rd week on increased dose of 100mg and i think things are slowly getting better. i had a few days of heightened anxiety and headaches but that seems to be settling now. i have also starting taken them in the morning instead of at night and i am starting to sleep better again. i don't like having to take meds but will persevere as taking a little tablet is nothing comparered to the misery of terrible panic attacks and anxiety.

Hi, i am new on here, just want a bit of advice, i have been suffering anxiety and panic attacks for a number of years, i have tried to manage without medication, but have had to admit defeat, my gp has prescribed me 100mg of setraline, i havent been able to take them yet, it seems such a high dose and the side affects sound awful. has anyone else started on 100mg and if so how was it? many thanks.... Alli

Hi,

It is normal to be prescribed 50mg to start with and then build up. The side effects do sound awful all written down together but remember that at most, you will get 1 or 2 of them. It's like seeing the menu at a restaurant, there's an awful lot of food if you get everything, but only 1 or 2 is manageable. (sorry if that analogy is rubbish, it just came into my exhausted brain). I found it took a while, 6-8 weeks, for me to feel the full effect of the antidepressants at 50mg. I have been on them over 3 months now and have just increased to 100mg. The side effects I got were vivid dreams, teeth clenching at night at first and some insomnia and early waking. Nothing I couldn't deal with though, really.

100mg does seem a lot to start taking at once. I'd recommend starting on a lower dose for a week or so to get used to the effects of the medication and then increase after that.

Sertraline has helped me, I have got my energy back and I am more able to cope with everyday life and the difficult situations that arise without panicking or slipping into very low moods.

Hi unspoken, thank you so much for replying, i still as yet havent plucked up the courage to start the meds, do you think taking half a day for a week or so might be a good idea? also what time of day do you take yours? thanks. Alli

Hi, I take mine first thing in the morning. I have to take other meds first thing and it helps because it is the most routine thing I do.

Yes you can start off taking half a day if you want to, then gradually increase. Take as little as you feel comfortable with and then increase. The positive effects take a while to be felt so it doesn't really matter if you start out on a lower dose. Don't be too alert for side effects when you've started taking them because as anyone with anxiety will probably know, if you worry about feeling sick, you will feel sick, etc.

Hi Mandie
    I have just had my dosage increased to 150mg, daily. I have been on 100mg for a month. I too am nervous, and wish you well. I will keep you informed of my outcomes. (and side effects).... Best wishes.

Hi, I started taking 50mg in the morning but still had problems, so the doctor advised me to take another 50mg at night. This seems to work ok for me and I had increased side effects for only a few days.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information