Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thick Saliva

Thick Saliva

Hi, i have been suffering from thick constant saliva for 8 months now, one particular doctor said it is anxiety causing acid which is causing me to produce saliva to counter the acid. Has anyone else heard of this? If anyone has suffered from this is there any recommeded medication, I have been taking proton pump prohibitors for 2 months now but they are not working, I don't have any burning anywhere anyway. The saliva is really making me depressed as some days it literally pours out of me and it is thick and glue like. Thanks for any help or advice.

Re: Thick Saliva

Hi

I get this loads

Are you well hydrated?Mine is worse if I haven't been drinking enough

Others meds may cause this too like antiDs

H x

Could there be some post-nasal drip going on there too, where mucus comes out of your nose into your throat/mouth, or is it def just the stomach acid? I've had a lot of post-nasal drip lately and have found that it sometimes makes my saliva thick and mucusy too. If so then nasal drops and/or steam can help clear the drip. Feel better soon .

Hello, omg i get this all the time it drives me nuts. it feels like my throat is clogged up with thick mucus and i cannot swallow it its awful. Doc said its acid reflux but i think post nasal drip. I use gaviscon which does work a little but if i manage to forget about it it seems to get better. making me think its anxiety related x

Quote Originally Posted by LeeBee View Post
    Could there be some post-nasal drip going on there too, where mucus comes out of your nose into your throat/mouth, or is it def just the stomach acid? I've had a lot of post-nasal drip lately and have found that it sometimes makes my saliva thick and mucusy too. If so then nasal drops and/or steam can help clear the drip. Feel better soon .
    That what the first ENT doctor said it was, but the 2nd time I went to him he said my sinuses had cleared up and he didn't really have any idea what was causing it, another ENT said it was saliva but just told me to take a exporant. Yeah tashbarnes87 it sometimes goes away when I am busy and but my mind constantly goes back to it and I feel like it is running my life. I do drink loads of water hunny about 2 litres a day.

I have suffered stomach problems in the past, stomach ulcer, bad wind, sore ribs from wind pressure etc which I all believe are anxiety/stress related, my stomach is fine these days but now this :/

i have been getting this saliva thing i think , every morning and through the day cloudy bubbly stuff i find it diffecult to swallow to , got worried so googled it ... bad move as now very worried have something really BAD ....the trouble is the more you think about it the more you swallow and it goes on i think ...

Quote Originally Posted by iworryallthetime View Post
    i have been getting this saliva thing i think , every morning and through the day cloudy bubbly stuff i find it diffecult to swallow to , got worried so googled it ... bad move as now very worried have something really BAD ....the trouble is the more you think about it the more you swallow and it goes on i think ...
    On my search I found nothing serious that cause excess saliva, unless it is red. "the trouble is the more you think about it the more you swallow and it goes on i thin", yeah this seems to be the case, today for me is particularly bad, its seems like I have a lump in my throat, I hack up thick white saliva and the lump is gone for about a minute and is back again.

thanks for reply ,and yes im the same i bring up bubbles of saliva and throat clear for a few min to them back again ..
    maybe just is anx thing after all ... hope sooo

I have been told that I have acid reflux my saliva is a bit better now but when this started my mouth was really dry like I had now saliva at all ... it was as though it was soooo thick it , does that sound like yours? I am really worried I have cancer of somewhere between my mouth and chest.

Quote Originally Posted by jannnne View Post
    I have been told that I have acid reflux my saliva is a bit better now but when this started my mouth was really dry like I had now saliva at all ... it was as though it was soooo thick it , does that sound like yours? I am really worried I have cancer of somewhere between my mouth and chest.
    My mouth is very wet, if I bend over and open my mouth saliva will pretty much constantly flow out! But the stuff that gets stuck in my throat is very very thick like egg whites and sometimes it is a glob of white stuff. I was worried about cancer for a while (but like most here I have also diagnosed myself with bowel, brain, lung and skin cancer over the last year :/ ), none of the several docs I have been to think it isn't anything serious and there is no cancer that I know of that causes the production of lots of saliva. But when no doctor can fix me I start to get worried again. I don't think doctors have a clue what triggers extra saliva and just put it down to acid or allergies.
    Last edited by GmcD; 10-09-08 at 19:01.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information